Thursday, February 12, 2009

Confessions of who knows what...


Confessions of a Shopaholic
by: Sophie Kinsella

Confessions Of a… if I had a book styled like this what would it be called? Probably “Confessions of a Banker.” It doesn’t have quite the same ring to it does it? Oh well. Confessions. Do you have something to confess? Guilty conscience pulling you down? Hum, interesting point to ponder. I have a confession, I ate 3 pieces of chocolate today. Bye Bye Diet!

The book is styled as if this shopaholic was confessing her inner thoughts to the audience. Some things are even too bad to share with us, while other thoughts and actions are just thrown out there for us to read.

So, here’s the second book that I’ve read by this author. I do have to say that I liked this book better than “Can You Keep a Secret?” First of all, it’s a series. I love finding series, it’s just nice to know that when you get to know a character in a book, that the story isn’t over at the end of book one. You can see some development in their story and you’ll have a few more to go before it’s all over with. Second, the personality of Becky Bloomwood is a very interesting character. Just the fact that this character is a financial journalist and she’s in serious debt is such a funny concept (not funny haha, of course). Becky is funny and witty and she’ll keep you smiling throughout the book (or gritting your teeth and biting your nails-but a reaction none-the-less). The third thing I enjoyed about this book is that it was a quick read. I went home sick from work one day, but I was in too much pain to go to sleep, so I read for the afternoon. Seriously, I read for 4 or 5 hours and knocked the book out. Which is a good thing since it took me 3 weeks to read the last book I read (A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin), quite refreshing!

There are a few points that I would like to make about this book. Just a little insight into my personality, I can’t be in debt. I hate debt, it stresses me out BIG TIME. I can’t sleep at night if I’m worrying about money. Because of this reason my husband and I keep a tight reign on our finances. Therefore when this girl is just spending money constantly and on ridiculous things I’m screaming “For real? Are you freaking kidding me, because you are RIDICULOUS!!!” Becky sees that she has two options for getting out of debt, 1. Spend less, or 2. Make more Money. When she tries to cut back on her spending, she just ends up spending more money, maybe more than she would have if she just kept to her regular shopping patterns (which is, walk by a store, go in, buy what she wants). K-razy!!!

A complaint I have is that the ending isn’t really that realistic. I have always thought that if you work hard, then you will be rewarded for your work. Without giving away the ending, you can’t get something for nothing. Your personality can only get you so far and you actually need to work hard to achieve your goals. Actually, come to think of it, her life isn’t very realistic. How can you get hired as a financial journalist without a credit check or knowing nothing about finances in the first place? I thought they did credit checks for every job these days, I know with Simon and I working at a bank, they did one on both of us, so wouldn’t someone writing for a magazine on finances be about the same? Again, without ruining the ending, there are some very unrealistic things that happen at the end. I hope that the movie does a better job of making it look like real life. The transitions in the book didn’t work for me. Speaking of, I think I’m going to make my husband take me to this movie for my birthday, yay!!!

As a whole, the book was good, it was kind of predictable, but a fun read none-the-less. This is one of those books that it is a brainless, fun read, which is a good change of pace. Please read the book and let me know what you think. Am I right? Am I wrong? Let me know… also, if you see the movie, let me know what you think about that as well.

P.S. Please use discretion. I would say this book is PG17, There is some language and sexual content.

No comments: