Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dragons, Elves, Dwarfs, Strange creatures not of this world... What more could a girl ask for?


Eldest by Christopher Paolini

Eldest, the second book for the Inheritance Cycle begins with tragedy and is continued throughout with hard times for Eragon. Since Saphira picked him to be her rider he has had many hard times along the way, and they do not diminish as he grows.

Eldest is viewed from 2 sides. One side is from Eragon’s point of view, and the other is from his cousin Roran’s. Roran has quite an adventure ahead of him as he realizes that the Empire wants him for some reason unknown to him, he quickly realizes that it has something to do with Eragon. As we journey with Roran, we learn more about his love, Katrina. We also watch a small village ban together to save Roran from the Ra’zac. As he travels he is more aware of the trouble he is truly in and he takes matters into his own hands as he becomes, Roran Stronghammer.

Eragon’s travels lead him on a different path, as a Rider, he is required to go to Ellesmera to train with the Elves. Alongside him is the Dwarf Orik and Arya. Eragon spends much time with the Elves, many great things take place, but I will not go into all of that, the most important part is that suddenly he realizes that the Varden is going to war against the empire and he leaves the elves before his training is completed with a promise to go back. There is a great battle at the end of the book that if I give any details about it, it will ruin the story for you, hence the vagueness.

My opinion about Eldest is that it was a good read. For some reason this book and it’s preceding book took me some time to get through. When the author wrote Eragon, he was a young child. The writing style is very simple and hard to read at some points, but I couldn’t expect any better. It is a great story and Paolini does a great job of introducing the characters and leading us through Eragon’s journey. As the books go on, the story becomes more alive and interesting. I found myself trying to guess what was going to happen next. This blog is a little short because I have read a few books since I read this particular episode and I can’t quite think of anything to write about. I do suggest this book, it is a good read and an interesting story. Is it the best book I’ve ever read before? No, not even close, but it was good and entertaining.

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the series. Did you like it? What do you think is going to happen between Eragon and Arya? Any thoughts on the ending of Eldest? Were you surprised by the change in the story? Let me know!

No comments: