Monday, June 13, 2011

Another Maximum Ride Novel


Max: A Maximum Ride Novel by James Patterson

Max is the fifth book in the Maximum Ride series, and much like the preceding books, Max is about the awareness of the pollution that humans are contributing to the earth. The Maximum Ride novels are a young adult series about 5 kids that were mutated with bird DNA and have small bone structure and have grown wings. They can fly, but besides that, they are normal kids, trying to save the world and grow up at the same time. In Max, the flock is helping the CSM, Coalition to Stop the Madness raise awareness of pollution and the environment by performing public air shows. By this time, the flock has grown very popular with sightings, public fights with the bad guys, and of course, Fang’s blog.

Since finding her real Mom, Max has been desperately trying to get to know her and her half sister Ella, she is with her all of the time, but when her mom is kidnapped, the flock has to try anything to get her back. It is discovered that she is under water and the US Navy helps the flock track her down. During their adventures, Max finally has a real first date with Fang, but all progress is lost when the young Dr. Brigid Dwyer comes back on the scene and continues to flirt heavily with Fang, much to Max’s disapproval. Before the end of the book, Max confesses her love for Fang, and there is still a hope that their young love will blossom.

Again, the main point of this series has turned into an environmental stance. I am very turned off by preachy books, so therefore, since the story line started to change, so has my interest in the series. There are two more books out at this point, and I have very little interest in continuing the series. The writing is just not that good and the story line has gotten weaker instead of stronger with time. The only thought of continuation is because I know I can get them for free from the library, and of course I hate leaving something undone. The next question that comes to mind, is this series ever going to end? Is Patterson going to keep it going forever? If so, I’m going to have to just stop while I’m ahead. If I knew there was only going to be 2 or 3 more books, I would probably continue, but thinking about the series going on and on makes me a little tired. I just can’t do it. There are too many wonderful books out there that wouldn’t feel like a waste of my time.

So, any thoughts, should I continue the series? If so, why? Happy Reading!

No comments: