Monday, July 18, 2011

Good or Evil, Which Shall They Choose?


Passion by Lauren Kate

We last saw Lucinda Price hurling herself into an announcer leaving her backyard full of death, destruction, war and her angel soul mate. No, I’m not kidding, this is where Torment leaves us hanging before Passion picks up. Passion is the third installment of the Fallen series and I have to be honest and say that I really have been waiting for it’s release date. As I’ve stated in previous blogs, Fallen was not the best book, but I had already bought Torment as well so I continued to read. The second book was definitely better and I started to get hooked. By the end of Passion I’m ready to close this story and see how it ends, but that is the extent of my excitement. I have mixed emotions, because it was good, but I feel like it could have been better and it was missing something. I’m just not sure what it was missing.

Passion, starts with the dark side, meeting up at a horse race and we find that they have disappointed Satan and he’s ready to step in and do the job right. We also know that Luce is running crazily from previous life to previous life looking for answers to the age old question of why Daniel and Luce are tied in this eternal cycle of love and death. I feel for the first time in the series the audience is introduced to the relationship and we finally get to see what’s so special about this love. We finally get to look at it with new eyes and hope for the best in the end. We’ll all keep our fingers crossed for Daniel and Luce.

Just jumping right into my opinion of this book in the series, I found the view of the author about the Fall of Lucifer interesting and how that came about. I also found it intriguing how she interwove “free will” and “predestination” throughout the story. Were the characters really choosing their own course or was it written before time that all this happened before and all of it will happen again. It’s thought provoking how one minute the characters were talking to each other about their “choices” and then the next moment they are almost being dragged to the next stop in the adventure as if they had no choice in the matter at all. I’m very interested to see how it all plays out in the end.

There was also some confusion about God in this book. Either He is almighty creator of Heaven and Earth, or He’s not. In the end there are some short scenes with God and the language gave God much reverence. Such as, not even the angels could look upon His glory seated on His Throne. They could not even utter His name because the glory was too much for a created being, they only referenced Him as “The Throne.” Yet shortly after that, “The Throne” was surprised by the action of one of the characters and later on the same page, “The Throne” sounded tired. He’s either one or the other. He can’t be both.

Overall, I am enjoying this series. I look forward to Rapture, the fourth and final book, but am I holding my breath until Spring of 2012? Nope.

Thoughts? Have you read this series, if so, what are your thoughts? If not, have I totally turned you off to reading it, or are you curious to form your own opinions? Keep reading my friends!

No comments: