Sunday, August 28, 2011

I'm sad, wanna cuddle?


Astrid & Veronika by Linda Olsson

Veronika, a young writer, escapes the pain of recent life events to Sweden. She moves into a rental home next door to Astrid, an elderly recluse where the unlikely friendship blossoms over the course of 9 months. Slowly they both open up and trust each other with their deepest secrets. This is a thought provoking, tear jerking, joyful and remorseful story from the heart that takes real life circumstances (and sometimes not so real) and puts them down on paper. I can’t even imagine the pain that has come from these women’s experiences and watching the healing take place as they reveal their hearts to each other was a special event to watch.

Veronika speaks of memories and how she feels that she can only remember the bad things that happen instead of the good and the bad. It was funny to me that Veronika states that her mother always told her that she didn’t have a good memory. The funny part to me was that people who have bad memories never realize it themselves, but they have to be lead to it. They also have a hard time admitting it because what they do remember is clear enough to them. I admit that I am a person that believes I have a great memory and am told by almost everyone that I don’t. I have recently pondered why this is so, and I have concluded that I have an excellent long term memory, but my short term memory is horrendous! I can relate to Veronika on this matter!

*Spoiler Alert* Throughout the story the author regularly speaks of the idea of “not lasting.” Every situation that is good in both of the characters there is a thought behind it that it cannot last. When Astrid had her little girl, she spoke of it not lasting, how can your relationship with your baby not last? Well, if you kill your baby, it won’t last. I was very confused why she did that by the way. Same idea is present with Veronika and her lover. It can’t last, and then he died.

Foreshadowing is sewn throughout the story. Veronika speaks of the sea being her enemy before we even know anything about her story. She speaks of always hating it, but knowing that the love of her life loved it, she wanted to be near him and he wanted to be in the ocean. Things didn’t fare well with them.

First question, was, what was with the cuddling? Second question, did Astrid kill herself? Third question, was Veronika happy for Astrid in the end? This book was very odd and intriguing at the same time. I probably would have never heard of it if it wasn’t for book club. It was an interesting read, I wouldn’t say I recommend it, but I wouldn’t say it’s the worst book I’ve ever read either. So, have you read it? Do you want to?

No comments: