Sunday, August 2, 2009

Back, Back Again, Elena's Back, Tell a Friend...

The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Nightfall by: L.J. Smith

(yawwwwwn) oh, I mean, hello… this is a blog about the above mentioned book. I decided to read the Vampire Diaries series because someone from a blog that I love to read had read them and had loved them. Also, from the same blog there was a clip of the new series coming out this fall and it looked intriguing. So, I decided to give them a try. From my previous blog about The Vampire Diaries you might have read that book 4 was the conclusion to the story. Well, little did I know that there was a book 5 recently written and this blog is about that very book.
Elena’s back, but she’s not herself lately, she’s a childlike spirit that can’t talk, walk, read, or anything else a normal 17 year old girl can do. She has Stephan, so things seem to be going good for her. Well on the other side of the story, Damon is getting into trouble again, this time with twin Japanese shape-shifting vampires that are wreaking havoc on Fell’s Church. Suddenly, Stephan leaves and the only thing left behind is an entry in Elena’s diary, stating that he can no longer be with her because he’s afraid of turning her into a vampire (again). Now, it’s up to Damon to set things right, can he do it? Will he be able to lay his dark-side to rest while he saves the woman he loves and her friends? You’ll have to pick this new installment up to find out!
Sadly, I did not enjoy this book. I was about 300 pages into it and almost decided to quit (out of 586). I complained the entire time while reading it. I complained about how boring it was and I was advised many times by multiple people to just stop reading it. I didn’t stop though and I’m glad I didn’t because now I can write this great blog! I can’t seem to put my finger on exactly what I didn’t like about it, but if I was forced to hash it out, I would say that I’m just not that interested in the characters. When Stephan left, I was like, ok, whatever, I don’t even care… Unlike other stories that I’ve read when main characters leave and they rip my beating heart out and take it with them just to put me through more agony (Edward in New Moon).
One compliment that I would like to pay to Smith is that I can’t imagine putting a story to rest for over 10 years, picking it back up and keeping the characters the same. I would have messed that up, but I couldn’t tell there had been a gap, it felt as if days had truly gone by. I think that with time I would have changed so much that the characters would have changed with me. Kudos to you Smith on a job well done, with character simulation, that is.
One lasts item of discussion is, no matter how much I didn’t like this book, and no matter how much I would like nothing more than to forget that I ever picked it up in the first place, the end was a fantastic cliff hanger. I really would like to go on the next journey with Elena, Damon, and Matt. I want to see what crazy adventure lies before them and hopefully it won’t be so boring when it happens. I have a feeling that this will not be the last we will hear from Elena and the Fell’s Church crew.
So, what do you think? Do you think I’m crazy for not liking this book? Have you read any of this series? Should I try a different series by Smith, or are they all kind of the same? Let me know what you think and give me your insights to this series!

No comments: