Sunday, August 23, 2009

A kiss on the hand can be quite continental...


Kiss by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy

Shauna McAllister wakes up 6 weeks after a near fatal car accident with no memories from the past 6 months. She has woken up to an alleged drug charge, her family blames her for the wreck, and they are keeping her from seeing her brother and best friend, Rudy. With no where to go she moves into a guest house on her estranged father’s estate with her boyfriend Wayne Spade, who she doesn’t remember. When she starts receiving urgent text messages warning her to leave the past behind her, she starts to get worried about whether the car wreck was actually an accident or not. As her story starts to unravel, she learns more than she was looking for and it might just cost her life.

One of my friends sent me this book and I have had it in my position since March. Since I’ve been a little distracted with A Song of Ice and Fire, I haven’t had a chance to read it yet. Finally, my reading schedule opened up a little and I dug into this book. Kiss was well written and had a great story line. It was a perfect balance of suspense and drama that it kept you wanting to read while not keeping you up at night. One fun fact I didn’t know was that Dekker was a Christian author. The content of the book was so well written that the little spurts of Spiritual inner personal struggle didn’t seem to be a turn off. I enjoy a good book that any person from any religion can pick up and there’s enough Christianity in the book that could speak to someone’s heart, but that is not overbearing or repulsing.

What I liked about the book, was the story line. The way the book begins is practically the car accident itself, therefore we know nothing about Shauna and so we are unable to guess whether the charges that are being pressed against her are actually true or not. We have very little to base any sort of opinion on our main character and so we are left to the writer’s work to lead us through the story. Also, I enjoyed how the audience learns everything through Shauna asking questions. It reminded me of Potter, when Harry doesn’t know something, he just asks questions.

Something I did not like about that book is that there were no real surprises in the book. As long as you kept your eyes open and saw things that were going on in the background, you weren’t left to much guessing. On second though, I’m not sure that this is such a bad thing though, with more thought on the subject, I think that the authors led us to the answers. Another concept that I didn’t much care for was the title. I think that the authors wrote the ending of the book first, with the thought that whenever she kissed someone she could steal their memories; well that isn’t how the memories came to her at the beginning, so I’m not sure that Kiss is the best title for this particular novel.

Have you read this book? What did you think? What would you name this book, or did you think the title was perfect? Let me know what you think in the comment section below.

No comments: