Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fire Meets Fire


Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
The third book for the Inheritance Cycle was pretty good. It continued the story well and the ending was just enough of a cliff hanger that the audience will want to continue reading the series. I am curious how it’s all going to end. I’m not sure when the next book is coming out, but I’m looking forward to it.

What sticks out? Eragon and Saphira’s relationship is stronger and deeper in this book. As the characters grow and we learn more about them, we also learn new things with the characters. I felt real emotion with the characters and the reader can definitely feel the bond between Eragon and Saphira growing. Also in Brisingr, it’s the first time the audience hears the story from Saphira’s perspective. A few surprises thrown at us, more information about Brom, we hear Galbatorix for the first time.

What I didn’t like, there were a lot of unnecessary details. There were some scenes that Paolini could have gone into more detail, where other details seemed unnecessary. The book seemed to drag in some areas and then rush by in other areas. I think the book could have probably been about 100 pages shorter.

I want nothing more than for Eragon to take Arya in his arms and kiss her really with everything he has. There is no reason for them not to be together. Her excuse is because he is so young, but who cares if they are both going to live forever. Age really is just a number when forever is the outcome. There was one section where Eragon and Arya were in the Empire traveling together and alone and I came up with all kinds of ways for them to get closer, such as when they extinguished the fire and it became very cold, I wish they would have used body heat to stay warm. Or there was the time when they first met up and they went up to her room to stay… and a few other instances that I made up in my mind. There are two reasons I believe that something has not happened to increase this romance. First of all the author is a young man. When he first wrote Eragon he probably didn’t even know how to include a well written romance into the story. I’m not saying that a man can’t write a romantic book, but all of the best romance novels I’ve ever read were authored by women. My second thought is that he is drawing us in by the anticipation of the maybe relationship. There is nothing better than a reader continuing to read because they can’t wait to see what happens next. I believe that this is Paolini’s thought behind what he does with Eragon and Arya’s relationship.
There was a pretty cool fight scene where Murtagh and his dragon fought Eragon and Saphira, it was awesome that Eragon was able to overpower Murtagh and Eragon said that it would be no big deal to overcome the other dragon, Thorn.

The story slowed throughout the middle, whenever Nasuada separates Eragon and Saphira it is pretty slow going. It seems like most of the characters are everywhere doing a lot of different things, but nothing is going on.

Thoughts? Have you read the Inheritance Cycle? Are you waiting impatiently for the last installment to come out? Let me know what you think!

No comments: