Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Name Carrots will Change her Heart Forever


Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Anne Shirley, the unwanted orphan, adopted by brother and sister Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Not the boy that they expected but through the years they fell for the creative, imaginative girl. This is a heartwarming story of life, love, and a small home called Green Gables.

When I grew up, I can remember spending hours, days even down in my grandparents basement watching Anne of Green Gables. I watched it many times, to the point of knowing some of the lines by heart. I loved her vivacious character and artistic flair. She was so imaginative and loveable. Little did I know that this was a book. I found out a few years ago and have had it on my to-read-list ever since. I have often searched the Library, but T-Town either doesn’t have it or something is wrong with the card catalogue. But to my surprise and delight, Half Price Books had it for cheap and I snatched it up.

Let’s pretend that for just a moment that Anne Shirley is a real person. Anne is the type of person that when you know her you become a better person because of her influence. I can imagine that Diana, Jane and even Josie became better people and more imaginative and more fun just from knowing Anne. Another great concept about the character of Anne is that she knew herself. She knew what she loved, hated, and everything in between. She may not have loved all there was about herself, but she knew all the little things about herself regardless.

I loved the battle between Anne and Gilbert Blythe. Their love was meant to be from the beginning. I know that Anne had that competitive drive in her and she drove herself to excellence through Gilbert. Could she have done it without him, probably, but would she? Maybe not. Either way, the ending is great and it made me want to keep reading the series. I have Anne of Avonlea and the blog will come soon.

So, what do you think? Is Anne of Green Gables a Classic? Have you read it? Do you think you may in the future? Let me know!

No comments: