Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mockingjay is not only a status symbol, it's a way of life


Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

The country of Panem is a war. District 12 is destroyed, and Katniss Everdeen has been airlifted from the Quarter Quell, but her saviors have left Peeta behind. Not understanding her place in the rebellion, and not having faith in the new way of life, Katniss is in constant turmoil. She doesn’t know what to do without Peeta, she knows that she is being watched at all times, either the cameras are watching or the escapees of District 12 or the powers that be of District 13. Unable to place herself in the correct spot, she wanders until she has to make up her mind. Mockingjay is the perfect ending to one of the greatest series in young adult literature.

I recently reread The Hunger Games and Catching Fire in order to remember details that may have been lost along the way over the last year. This decision did not mistake. As I reread the first 2 books of the series, I relived the horror, suspense and phenomenon that was The Hunger Games Series. As this series is placed on the big screen, these books that already have a very large following will blow up. I anticipate the day that these movies come to fruition. This series teaches of politics and human nature. It is filled with love and longings that are magical. It also shows how important even the smallest player in the games can make a huge impact. Not everything is tied up in a nicely wrapped package at the end, but the ending was perfect. I wouldn’t have changed one single word. Collins had a vision and determination when writing this series and hopefully it will be effective in its message.

I love to read, especially on vacation. My friend Genie and I went up to Oregon to see my mom when Mockingjay was scheduled to be released, so I ordered my copy from Amazon, had it shipped to my mom’s house with 1 day shipping. It was expensive, but totally worth it. I finished Catching Fire for the second time, wrote my blog and dove into Mockingjay. I had it the last day of my vacation and then my travel day home. I read it on the first plane, the 4 hour layover in Denver, and then cracked it again on the 2nd plane that landed up in Dallas to end our trip (at 1 am). On the first plane leaving from Spokane, WA, a gentleman about my age pops his head over my seat and inquires about my book. Politely I tell him that I’m enjoying it. He then tells me that he has read the series and was excited that I had the last installment. Up to that point I was enjoying it, but during that first flight, craziness broke in the book and I just kept hoping that the guy in seat 13A would get his copy soon because it is an excellent read.

I really can’t efficiently give a detailed review without spoiling the end for everyone. I was happy with the way the series ended and felt that it was a great way to end a great series. I was upset with Katniss throughout almost the entire book, I wanted to slap her and was glad when Haymitch finally got through to her about how to best help Peeta through his horrible ordeal. I cried with Katniss as she relived the horrors of all the people she had lost, and I smiled as I closed the back cover on the last page. I will reread this series and I hope that you will give it a chance, email me if you want to chat about the details of the world of the Hunger Games, I would love to discuss! Leave me a comment! Are you ready to read, have you already read, or are you disgusted by the thought of the Hunger Games, I know Katniss would be.

No comments: