Saturday, May 21, 2011

Three are Dead and I am Number Four


I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

John Smith has never found a true home. He has been moved by his guardian Henry every few months to keep him safe. John is a fifteen year old alien from the planet Lorien, who has always been running from the enemy race of the Mogadorians. When John was very young he escaped from his home planet with 8 others like him along with their Cepans, or guardians. They make up the Garde. These aliens have special powers that were given to their race from their home planet because of the special care they respected their planet with. The Mogadorians came to Lorien and destroyed it for the planet’s natural resources. They have their eyes set on Earth now. When they left their home planet, John and the others had spells placed on them that only as long as they were not together they could only be killed in their number order. The book opens with the death of number three and John being forced to leave another home because Henry has been charged with keeping him safe. John and Henry move to Paradise, Ohio and start a new life with expectations that they won’t be able to stay long. Of course, this is where the action takes place and John refuses to leave just wanting a normal teenage life. You’ll have to read it to get any more details.

I enjoyed I am Number Four. It was pretty action packed and had all of the qualities of a good book. A little action, a little romance, little alien feuds, everything I look for in a story. I liked the inventiveness of the story. There are so many stories being duplicated in young adult literature that sometimes you pick up a book and think, which book is this going to rip off? But this was a very interesting premise and I enjoyed the story line a lot.

As the audience, I felt so sorry for John. I wanted him to have what he longed for. He just wanted a place to fit in and find a group of friends and the poor guy’s hands start glowing in his first class of his first day at a new school. That’s just the beginning of things going from bad to worse. He has the pressure of knowing that he has been and is still a target for an entire race of aliens that want to kill him. He knows that’s he’s next on the hit list. And there is a predicted 5 more books to follow this one. I fear that poor John is going to run into a lot more trouble as the series continues.

Sadly it’s been too long since I read the book for me to remember any critiques I had. It was a good young adult book and I look forward to the continuation of the series.

So, what did you think? Have you read it, or watched the movie?

3 comments:

Melody said...

I was disappointed in this book. I was really looking forward to it but found it lacking in depth. I liked the story and felt that it could have been amazing because it was so unique but I never got attached to the characters. I'll read the rest of them but hope they're better than the first.

melspigener said...

It is not often that I read a book and it is worse than the movie. I enjoyed the movie and expected more from the book. I would liked to have known what the characters were feeling or thinking. However, I did like the overall concept of an alien being chased by aliens, in sequential order, on an alien planet.

Portugal said...

This book is AWESOME!!!! I loved it! There's so much suspense and I really loved his dog, Bernie Kozar! The 1 thing I didn't like was all thee romance with Sarah. I didn't mind it as much but there's too much for me (in my opinion). Otherwise I would recommend this for anyone who loves action and suspense and a little romance too.