Monday, September 26, 2011

POOF-- Freedom!


Gone by Michael Grant

Poof. Not, I wake up in the morning and everyone over the age of 15 has been kidnapped in the night, but POOF, in front of Sam’s very eyes, his teacher poofed. Not only his teacher, but other kids in his class and his mom have just literally vanished before his eyes. Not only his mom, but the only people left in a 10 mile radius are gone without a trace. Not only have people vanished, but the kids that are left are starting to experience changes, supernatural changes.

Gone was a thrilling count down. I had no idea what we were counting down to, but I was glad that I was a part. The intriguing story begins on the day that people disappear. There is confusion and no adults. Of course everyone is looking up to School Bus Sam to save the day to step up and be the leader he seemed to be born to be, but he just walks away. As bully’s rule the day and the troubled private school kids come to rein the city, Sam, Astrid and a few others try and figure out exactly what’s going on. As the story continues they realize that maybe they don’t want to know the truth.

This was my pick for book club. I picked for the month of August and I really wanted to read a book that I already owned, so I brought a list to see what people had read and what people hadn’t. I brought a list of 5 books, all of them had been read by at least one person, so sad. So, I mentioned Gone, I knew it was YA and not all adults are crazy about that genre of literature like I am, so I didn’t know if it would go over well. This book was recommended to me by my past mentor and now friend Melody Tryon. She has great taste in literature and we usually read and agree on most of the same books. She said to me, if I liked The Hunger Games, then I would definitely like Gone and the series.

One thing I enjoyed about the book was that the characters were unpredictable. I would assume that I knew what was going to happen next, but then it would change. Now, I’m not saying that everything was unpredictable, I knew that Lana was going to be a healer. But I have no idea what’s going on with the darkness character that’s controlling the coyote’s. I can’t even guess. I have no idea why some kids have developed powers and why some haven’t or why they started developing them before the FAYZE or why some kids powers are stronger than others. I have no idea where everyone disappeared to or if they are alive or dead.

I enjoyed Gone and I’m in great anticipation to continue the series with Hunger. Keep reading my friends!

No comments: