Sunday, May 27, 2012

But Do Roses Really Smell Like Poo Poo Poo?


The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
What can I say about The Name of the Rose?  The first thought that came to my mind when this book was announced for Olive Books Book Club’s May book  was, Oh my, I don’t think I can read this one.  I have read many books over 500 pages, but when I found this book at the Library and it was very large pages with very small print and over 500 pages, I felt a little overwhelmed.  I started the book a little earlier in the month, which I usually wait until the last 2 weeks of the month in order to read books on my overflowing book case during those first 2 weeks and it usually gives me more than enough time to devote to book club.  Although this book only took me 2 weeks, I’m glad I gave myself 3 weeks before book club because the first 100 pages were overwhelming and I don’t think I would have completed it if I didn’t know that I had enough time.  Does that make sense?
How did I feel while reading this book? Every time I picked the book up, I made an audible noise between a sigh and a groan.  At first I couldn’t understand what the author was telling me.  I didn’t understand what historical background Eco was trying to convey, I had to read out loud to myself in order to remember or understand what I was reading.  I was going to give the book 100 pages to get interesting after that I was going to return my library book and forget I wasted any time reading it at all.  Luckily at page 100 I decided to keep reading.  I kept reminding myself that it is an International Bestseller, every review I read with very few exceptions, people gave this book 4 or 5 stars out of 5.  All of these people must be very intellectually astute because I felt as a well read, college graduate very stupid reading this book. 

This book was set over the course of 7 days in the winter of 1327.  Brother William of Bakersville is sent to a rich abbey in Italy along with his novice Adso of Melk.  They are to uncover believed heresy that could be taking place in the wealthy abbey, but as they arrive, William is asked to turn detective and he is distracted from his mission by a mysterious death that took place the night before.  William must collect evidence and use his intellect to solve the many mysteries that are taking place not only in the abbey walls, but also the mysterious library that no one is allowed to enter except the librarian and his assistant.  As the bodies continue to pile up during that week, William has to decode manuscripts, decipher secret symbols and learn secrets to the labyrinth of the abbey. 

Unless you want to refresh your memory on all of the Latin you know, or learn around 1000 new vocabulary words, I would say that you could just rent this movie and save yourself 2 weeks of your life reading this book.  That’s just me though.  I hope you enjoyed the blog, keep reading and let me know what you think!    

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I've started making that noise too . . .

CharityReads said...

Kathy, did you finish yet? I'm almost done with Island at the End of the Wold, I should finish today :)