Monday, May 28, 2012

Use the Force Clary, oh wait, wrong series...


City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
This is the second installment of the Mortal Instruments and it continues immediately after City of Bones.  In the first book Clary’s life was turned upside down when she sees things she has never seen before and she is introduced to a hidden world of Shadowhunters and Downworlders.  She learns that her father is not dead like she had been told all her life, but he is the worst villain of this new world and that the boy she has fallen head over heels for is her brother.  Her mother is in a self induced coma and nothing seems to be able to wake her.  With City of Bones, the audience learns about all sorts of Downworlders, vampires, werewolves,etc.  In City of Ashes, Alec and Isabelle Lightwood introduce Clary to the Faerie world, when they go to the queen to see if she will join the Shadowhunters to fight Valentine in his mission to destroy all Downworlders.  Of course some crazy drama takes place with the Faerie Queen that I will not go into detail.  Simon has a change of situation that turns him into a key player in the war of this new world.  And Clary finds out that she is not the average Shadowhunter but is special. 
I guess there could be spoilers to City of Bones in this blog, so if you haven’t read it, please stop here, read the book and come back!  When we meet Valentine at the end of City of Bones and Jace says “this is my father.” I thought, OMG!  That is a turn that I would have never guessed and it turned my stomach inside out for Clary.  I just kept thinking to myself, no, they can’t be brother and sister.  They want each other too much.  And then I thought, thank the Lord that they have only kissed.  Eek!
I know that this author is not perfect, I see the mistakes, but Clare has found a story that has stolen my heart.  I love the Shadowhunters and this new and exciting world.  I am engrossed to see what will happen next with Magnus, Alec, Isabelle, Jace, Clary, Simon and all
the characters.  As the story continues we meet new characters and I am engrossed in his/her story and I can’t wait to see how this new and exciting character will help or hinder what’s going to happen in this story. 

The only problem with this series is that I am having is that I am reading it too fast and it has been several months since I actually read this book and now blogging about it and I have read all of the books of the series and I can’t remember details about what I liked specifically.  Oh well, just take my advice and read this series as soon as possible.  This will be the next fan series to watch out for in the movies.  Keep Reading my friends!

No comments: