Sunday, June 3, 2012

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

This is the third book in the Mortal Instruments series and I just have to say that I am in love with this series!  The series continues with my favorite characters Jace and Clary needing to get to Alicante, the Shadowhunter’s capital.  Jace is trying as hard as he can to keep Clary, his sister, out of the City and possibly out of danger.  The Clave, the Shadowhunter’s form of government, has requested an audience with Clary, in order to tell her side of what happened on the boat with Valentine at the end of City of Ashes.  Well we all know that it would be a short book if Jace could keep Clary out of danger and out of the City of Glass.
Of course my first reaction to this book was the cover, who is this black haired guy on the front of the book?  My first guess was Alec because he is a dark haired Shadowhunter, but then enters Sebastian.  He is dark and mysterious and Clary definitely thinks he is good looking, but there is something about him that she keeps him at arm’s length.   They have several interactions and although she can’t shake her feelings for Jace, she knows that as siblings there can be nothing between them.  So, Sebastian is a good second choice for now, or so she thinks at first.
There is so much that takes place in this book, to recap the entire book would be silly, so I will just give a few thoughts and encourage you to read this series.  This is a series that I have not just read, but I have devoured.  I have enjoyed every minute of my time with these well written characters.  I feel what each character feels, I laugh and cry and am evolved with their every move in each book and with each new character that is introduced.  I will speak shortly on the “well written” phrase from above.  Clare is not a perfect writer and it is YA literature, but the characters are so in-depth that you truly get lost in the story and are oblivious to any mistakes that may take place.  I actually can’t remember any errors, but I have read some reviews that say it is written too simplistic and there is not enough depth, it’s for teenagers, get over it!
I have read each of these books so quickly, I cannot wait to re-read them and keep them on my shelf to love them forever.  I love how each story unfolds and the audience is moved to believe what Clare is telling us to believe and with each complication and movement of the story, I lament or rejoice with these characters that I have grown to love.
If you are a lover of young adult literature, this is the next series for you!!!  Keep reading my friends!

No comments: