Sunday, August 5, 2012

The King Wanted Them Both, but Who Did He Love?

                                                                                                           

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
This was an excellent read. I enjoyed it from the time I picked it up until the last page.  This was my book club pick for the July.  Of course with all book club books, I was on a schedule and had to read every waking moment to get it finished on time, but I didn’t mind.  The first notion that you have to accept with this novel, is that it is just that, a novel.  It was written in 2001and was never said to be a biography or historical document in any way.  This is a novel and you have to read it as such.  I have read some critical reviews that people are upset by the storyline not staying 100% true to historical facts.  Who cares, it’s a fictitious story about real historical people.  In regards to this blog, I will not be talking about anything historical, but only straight from the novel itself.  Ok, I will step down off of my soap box and start my blog.  There are some things in this blog that could be considered spoilers, but if you know any history about Henry VIII, then it will not spoil the story at all. 
I first started this book and thought, doesn’t Henry the eighth behead Anne Boleyn?  I also remembered hearing that Anne Boleyn had six fingers on her right hand, I googled it and I’m not sure of the 100% accuracy of that rumor, but it was out there but not mentioned in the book. 

I enjoyed the book being from Mary Boleyn’s perspective.  It was interesting to see the rise to power that her family received from Mary’s relationships with the King and especially from Mary’s thoughts.  She loved the King and desired to make him happy, but as soon as Anne moved into the spot light, I could see how the King changed.  With Mary, Henry seemed tender, loving, and caring, but with Anne he seemed mean and almost evil.  Anne was potraid in this book as a horrible selfish character that did what best suited her needs and Mary was always putting herself in the best interest of her family.  If Anne did what she was accused of, then maybe she did deserve her ending, but she was a horrible character in this book and I wasn’t at all sad that there was an end to her. 
Another part of Mary’s character that was enjoyable to read is how even though her life did not seem to ever turn out how she expected, she still found love and still enjoyed life to its fullest.  Whenever she was put aside from the King, she was able to go back to her husband, when that didn’t work out, she found that William Stafford had loved her since the first time he laid eyes on her.  She was such a great character that she was well loved and someone was always looking out for her. 

This book was easy to read, fun, and enjoyable.  I would suggest for readers with any literary taste.  Keep Reading My Friends!

No comments: