Sunday, December 30, 2012

Bible Based Friendship


Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
Meet Denver, a homeless man in Dallas Texas and then meet Ron Hall an international Art dealer that allows God to move through himself and his wife to make a new friend.  Seeing both sides of the story, Denver grows up as a modern day slave in Louisiana that as an adult hops a train to escape and ends up in Texas.  He is homeless for eighteen years when in walks the Hall family in the local homeless shelter to volunteer their time.  Debby Hall is a prayer warrior who listens to God and pushes her husband to cultivate a friendship with Denver.

I don’t want to go into any detail of the story.  This book was an excellent read.  I laughed and cried and it made me think.  I couldn’t believe how things turned out, but as a Christian I have to believe that God is in control even as hard times come and life hands us all sorts of events that we don’t know how to react.  This thought provoking story was well worth the read and I would suggest it to anyone.

My favorite section of the book is where Denver is asking Ron about why white people go fishing and they “catch and release.”  Denver explained that when he has gone fishing, it was for food not for fun and Ron quickly realized he was not only talking about fishing, but Denver was concerned that Ron was going to catch Denver’s friendship and when he was finished with him he would release him.  I thought this was an excellent picture of what a pity friendship looks like.  I have seen it happen before and I have probably been guilty of this act of catch and release friendship.  A thought provoking concept. 

This was my last book club choice for Olive Books Book Club and everyone who read it, loved it.  What did you think?  Have you read it, or do you want to?  Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: