Sunday, May 19, 2013

The End of the FAYZ


Light: A Gone Novel by Michael Grant
Book #6, the ending of the FAYZ.  I cannot believe that this series is over.  Gone was my first pick for book club.  It was recommended to me from my friend Melody and I’m so glad I read it.  My friend Renae and I continued to read even when other book clubbers decided it wasn’t for them. 

I loved the story of Sam, he was my favorite character even with his ups and downs.  Poor guy had some serious problems throughout the story, too many to get into in this blog, you’ll have to read to find out.  I loved Lana and of course her dog Patrick, Astrid and all the other characters.  After spending so much time with the kids of the FAYZ, I just can’t believe that it’s over. 
It’s hard to talk about the book without giving spoilers, so just in case I slip, beware there are probably going to be spoilers ahead.  I honestly don’t want to go into much detail about the story or what the characters go through in this last book, but just in case, you have been warned. 

The ending was quite perfect.  I don’t know what I pictured for the ending of the FAYZ, but a showdown between Caine/Little Pete and Gaia.  It was quick and over.  I actually guess I was waiting for Little Pete to reverse the effects of the FAYZ or be it was a bad dream and he wakes up in the power plant with the adults finally getting the siren turned off and the whole time was a nightmare in Little Petey’s mind.  I’m so glad that didn’t happen, it would have cheapened the pain that the survivors went through for all of those months. 
My other thought was that when the barrier came down, all of the terrible events, such as the children that died would come back, like they had fallen asleep.  Again I’m glad that this didn’t happen either although it was sad to lose such great characters like Orc, Breeze, Duck, and even Caine.  I’m glad that this option didn’t happen because as an author, Grant had to make hard decisions about characters and plot, and I respect the choices he made.  It makes me upset when authors take the easy track to make the audience happy when it is less realistic.  If an author can look at the end result and not picture a fan throwing the book across the room, I think that’s a good goal to achieve. 

I hate that Connie Temple, Sam’s mom spent all her time while the barrier was up doing everything she could for Sam and the other kids, and then he finds out a little about her past and he just can’t be around her anymore.  It’s sad to me.  With all of the growing up he did while in the FAYZ, he still has some growing up to do. 
Well those are my thoughts on this last book of the Gone series.  I’m so glad I read this and I look forward to other books by Mr. Grant.  Thanks for reading my blog and leave a comment if you have any thoughts.  Keep reading my friends!

No comments: