Sunday, December 29, 2013

I Hate Spinnerbait!


This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
I challenge you to read this book.  Ok, so only if you have read the book would you understand my sentence about taking a challenge.  I enjoy Dessen’s books so much.  Each character is absolutely wonderful.  She makes each story that I’ve read stand out and is wonderfully different yet has strains of the same within each of her books.

This Lullaby is about a girl named Remy who has one summer before she goes off and starts her new and very own life now that she has graduated high school.  She has big plans, to be single and have fun with her friends and live it up, while trying to be a better person.  But of course, the boy of our book fantasy dreams walks in and messes all of it up.  The only problem is that Remy likes it and she loves hanging out with Dexter, she just doesn’t understand where all of these new found feelings are coming from since it’s not like Remy to get attached and she also doesn’t date boys in bands.
I like the Beetles theme that kept popping up.  First with the drummer’s nick name in the first 8 or so chapters was Ringo in Remy’s mind and then when Remy’s mom was finishing her novel she played the Beetle’s loud and proud.     

This is not my favorite Dessen novel thus far.  It was sweet and I did like the theme of the Lullaby throughout the novel.  Remy’s character was a little different from other Dessen characters.  She had this hard façade and she always called herself a hard cold B. Actually out of all the novels I’ve read of hers, she uses a lot more language and gives the persona of an easy or slutty character. 
I only gave this book 3 stars on Good Reads because I didn’t enjoy the ending to the book.  I like to read at least a chapter of the love interests to be together and see them together.  We got 2 sentences of, “I’ll see you after we have all these gigs.” 

It’s a story of bad girl meets good guy and when the bad girl stays true to character she ruins it all.  This book is not a waste of time but Dessen has better books out there, enjoy them all!  Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: