Thursday, February 18, 2010

a gothic poem starts it all, how will it end?


Generation Dead by: Daniel Waters

A Phenomenon has swept across America, where teenagers are dying and aren’t staying dead. The “Living Impaired” or “Differently Biotic” kids are outcasts. They are loathed and feared all over the country. The Administration at Oakvale High are a little more open minded, therefore the Zombies are starting to come to the area. When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it. Adam, her neighbor and long time friend, realizes he has deeper feelings for her than friendship, but is he too late? Has she already fallen in too deep with Tommy? Adam will do anything for Phoebe, but what if the best thing for her is to stand by and watch the woman of his dreams with another guy, a dead guy?

Adam the best friend/neighbor of the story is the guy I was pulling for. This is uncharacteristic of me, usually I pick the main character to be with the girl in the end. Tommy is the Edward Cullen, the Peeta, the Romeo. Instead I liked Adam, and I wanted Phoebe to pick Adam too. My feelings have changed quickly with the ending of the book. I can’t wait to share my thoughts on the second book, since I’ve already read it. Anyway, back to Adam. He is the friend that is always there for her. That will listen to her and is her shoulder to be cry on, Adam is her rock. Tommy is the Zombie boyfriend that should be the one we are rooting for, but there is always the question of his motives. Phoebe is constantly wondering if he likes her for who she really is, or if he likes her because it is a good political move.

What I liked: Perfect timing. This author used such grace when he presented new information. He didn’t rush into every subject within the first few chapters. He let the story flow as needed. For example, I was about half way through the book when the audience was introduced to Phoebe’s parents. At first I thought that was weird, but for a Goth girl that has friends, why would she introduce her parents to us until it was absolutely the right time? I didn’t feel like information was shoved at me within the first few chapters, I felt like we got to know the characters slowly throughout the story. Excellent writing on Waters’ part.

What I didn’t like: If I had one complaint about the book it would have to be that it is a little preachy. The story line is that there are people that are different and like it or not, they are there. We either can embrace them for their differences or we can shun them and for that reason we are not good people. I felt like the entire book we are being forced to love the Zombies just because they are different. I can understand that they were humans and now, even though dead, they are still the same person, but don’t tell me that I have to accept a group of people just because you want me to. I didn’t know if it was a Race issue that Waters’ was trying to get across or if it was just a good story that he wrote. Was this a politically charged book, or just an idea that would help the world if we embraced it in our lives? Again, I didn’t necessarily disagree with him, I just was curious about his motives.

One thing I do know is that I enjoyed this book very much. I hope that you take the time to look it up and read it. I have already finished the second book and the blog is coming. Please leave a comment or don’t, it really doesn’t matter either way. If you read the book let me know what you thought. Did you think it was awesome, or did you think that it was crazy?

No comments: