Sunday, April 29, 2012

Clockwork Demons? It could work...


Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

The year is 1878, and this story takes place in London.  Young Tessa Gray finds herself being shipped from
America to London to join her brother there after the death of their aunt.  When she arrives, she meets the Dark Sisters who take Tessa to their home to meet her brother.  When she arrives, her brother is not there, but being held prisoner and unless Tessa does exactly as the Dark Sisters say, they will kill him.  Tessa finds herself being tortured mercilessly by the Dark sisters for a hidden talent that she does not know about.  Tessa can change herself into anyone dead or alive only by holding an object that once belonged to that person.  After she masters this talent, the Dark Sisters will offer her up as a spouse to the Magister.  One fateful night, Will Herondale comes to her rescue and Tessa meets her first Nephilim.  As the book continues with twists and turns, Tessa learns more about a new world that she never knew existed and somehow she fits into this world with her power that she is learning to control and use in this war that she has been brought into. 

 Starting this book, I have to admit that I was worried.  I loved the Mortal Instruments by the same author and I didn’t know how a prequel series would sit with me.  I didn’t want to lose the magic of what I knew about this new world of Demons and Nephilim, Fairies and Werewolves, but I had a great recommendation from Laura, a Young Adult connoisseur from Books A Million.  She said that the Infernal Devices story intertwines with the Mortal Instruments in such a way that you will love it just as much as the Mortal Instruments.  I still had my doubts, but I went ahead and purchased this first book and read it.  I have not looked back or regretted my decision. 

 One aspect that I had to get over was Will.  He is briefly mentioned in City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments #4) and Magnus Bane is the person that refers back to him.  Remembering this, it was easy for me to see how the books intertwine in that small way.  At first, I thought Clare was recreating Jace through Will.  Almost like, it worked the first time with my other books, so let’s see if my fans like Jace’s great grandfather.  It was hard for me to get over how Will’s self serving attitude had the appearance of  being so much like Jace, I didn’t want him and Jace to be alike, because I always thought of Jace as such an original character, but as the story continued, I could see distinct differences in behaviors, actions and even thought processes.  It was hard not to think concepts about this book and compare to Mortal Instruments because of how similar the plots were, as a fan, I liked it, but I can see how if you didn’t just love one, you won’t love the other either.  Of course anyone who read these books, will probably want to argue with me and say that the plots are not similar, but I ask that you think for just a minute… girl goes into new world, meets boy, against all odds does not only survive but finds out she’s got skills in this whole new world.  Sound familiar?  I’m not upset, I like the plot, but I’m just saying it’s the same. 

 Clare uses the same magical writing as she did in previous books and Laura was right, she intertwines the stories just enough to make you think about your beloved character such as Jace, or Magnus Bane, and it reminds you so much about events that take place in the later books, such as City of Fallen Angels.  I have no idea what order you should read Clare’s books in, but this is how I’m going along so far. 
City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of  Fallen Angels, Clockwork Angels, and I already own Clockwork Prince (although I have not read it yet, and I have City of Lost Souls on pre-order, so I’m not sure which of these last two I will get to first, but no worries, I will read them all.)

 So, I’ve seen around the blogosphere some Team Will or Team Jem ads.  So, what are you?  I think as of right now, after book 1 I am totally Team Jem, which is actually quite opposite of me, I am usually always for the main guy character.  All of that to say, I am a fan of Cassandra Clare!  I hope you enjoyed this blog and I hope you read both series by Cassandra Clare!  Keep reading my friends!

No comments: