Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Thirteenth Tale, a mystery to all!


The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

I have to start by saying that I am disappointed with myself in regards to this book. I read this book very quickly because of how demanding my reading schedule became at the time that I chose to read this book. Since becoming a member of the Olive Books book club in 2011, I find that I have deadlines on books and I read other books in between the book club books, and of course sometimes life gets in the way. I read the book club choice called Shadow of the Wind (one of the best books I’ve read in my life), then my friend Renae and I decided that we would read The Thirteenth Tale together before the next book club book, In the Woods by Tana French. Because of the placement of the books I took my time at first with The Thirteenth Tale and then I realized that I had to hurry because In the Woods book club was quickly approaching. I didn’t finish In The Woods and the murder mystery ending was ruined by book club and I was just upset. All of that to say, placement of books is very important to me and I need to remember that in the future.

Enough about that and onto the book. I’m not quite sure of the classification of The Thirteenth Tale, gothic novel maybe. It is a story about a young biographer, Margaret Lea, who is called on by famous author Via Winter. She is most known for her twelve enchanting stories, but no one has ever gotten the truth about her life story before. No matter how people try to get her story, Ms. Winter is never willing to divulge. When she calls on Margaret, who has been troubled by her own past, to give her story to, Margaret is shocked and reads her stories for the first time. After staying up all night reading, she decides to complete Ms. Winter’s biography and hear her story. As the story unfolds, Margaret learns about Isabelle, Adeline and Emmeline the twins born to Isabelle, a ghost, and a governess.

This is a mystery that will keep you on the edge of your seat. There are twists and turns that keep you reading page after page. At the end of the book I sat very still with my mouth agape, knowing that my reading world had just been rocked! I hope that everyone has the chance to pick this book up at some point in their lives. Have you read it? What did you think? Were you surprised by the ending of Vida Winter’s story? Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: