Sunday, April 1, 2012

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien The Hobbit is a fantastic epic adventure about a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins of Bag End and his unplanned quest to help Thorin and company to rid his family’s mountain of treasure and old home from an evil dragon that had conquered the dwarves many years before. Not only was this adventure not planned, but it was also not wanted by Bilbo, but Gandalf the wizard volunteered him as the burglar of the expedition.

This story is filled with adventure and was thought provoking at the same time. I enjoyed the back and forth riddles between Gollum and Bilbo and how Bilbo tricked him in the end. I also loved watching Bilbo change throughout the adventure. He was a nervous wreck before and grows to be not only a pivotal character that works the entire adventure to its resolve, but he’s also a character that the reader grows to love more and more with each flip of the page.

I was so excited when this book was picked for book club. My friend Claire said she was going to pick it before the movie came out in December 2012, and when her turn came up, I was pumped. After book club was over we came to my house and watched the trailer, I can’t wait for December 28th! Just so you know, I have read the trilogy of The Lord of the Rings probably 4 years ago and it was during a very busy time in my life so I don’t feel like I absorbed everything that was going on. With the Hobbit, it was such an easy going fun read that I loved every minute of it. I kept laughing out loud and my husband Simon would ask me what was going on, so I would read what I thought was so funny and he would laugh too.

Since this is a classic I’m not giving a lot of detail, know that this is a wonderful work that I enjoyed immensely. I would recommend this book to every book lover, even if they are not a fan of the fantasy genre. I will leave you with my favorite quote. Let me know what you think! Happy Reading!

Thorin: “We shall soon before the break of day start on our long journey, a journey from which some of us, or perhaps all of us (except our friend and counselor, the ingenious wizard Gandalf) may never return.”
Poor Bilbo couldn’t bear it any longer. At may never return he began to feel a shriek coming up inside, and very soon it burst out like the whistle of an engine coming out of a tunnel. All of the dwarves sprang up, knocking over the table.

Also, I wanted to show you a picture of the desk that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit at. It is currently on display at Wheaton College in Wheaton, IL. Simon and I went to visit the school in October of 2011 and enjoyed the display of many famous authors, C.S. Lewis and Tolkien just being two of them. Enjoy!

No comments: