Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Have you Seen Amy?


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Amy Elliot Dunne is missing.  The audience starts the book on the day that Amy goes missing and we follow Nick Dunne’s story along with excerpts from Amy’s diary.  As we venture through the story, Nick is the only suspect in his wife’s maybe murder especially when all clues lead back to him. 

I can’t tell my readers much about the plot without ruining some great surprises.  This was our September book club pick and it has been one of the only books that all members have liked.  We all pretty much had the same consensus about the book.  All parties involved were crazy. 
I had a few thoughts that I would like to share with you all in this blog, first sometimes a book will trigger a song.  It’s like the theme song for the book.  This book triggered Britney Spears, If you Seek Amy.  Yes, I know it’s a horrible song, but Amy is missing and so, one thing leads to another and I’m singing a dirty Britney song.  The song that it immediately led to after that was Britney’s Womanizer, depending on which character I was reading.  Just thought I would share that little tid-bit of information.

The next idea I had was just how many levels this book had.  It was like an onion.  The audience had to constantly peel that onion to get to the bottom of the story to the real truth.  I loved how every time I thought I had figured it out, there was an even bigger surprise than the last chapter.  I felt as I read the book I would start to understand the character and what was going on within the story and then the last sentence of the chapter would change everything.  A little sentence like “And that was the seventh time I lied to the cops.” Would sneak its way right at the end of the chapter and my mind would ask: What?!?!  I thought Nick was being absolutely honest and then Flynn drops that bomb on us.  I loved it!  This book was full of surprises and I loved how shocked I was at every turn. 
I don’t want to share too much, just let me know if you liked it.  Keep Reading my Friends!

   

No comments: