Sunday, September 23, 2012

How do you hide when everyone can hear your thoughts?


The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Todd Hewitt is 30 days away from becoming a man.  Every boy in Prentisstown becomes a man at the age of 13 with 13 calendar months.  He doesn’t know what all it entails, but as the last boy in Prentisstown he knows it’s a big deal.  Not only is he the youngest in the town, there are no women in Prentisstown.  In New World, everyone can hear everyone’s thoughts and the noise is overwhelming and not only can you hear the men’s thoughts, but the animals talk and have noise just as loud as men.  One day Todd and his dog Manchee stumbles upon silence.  Like a whole in the Universe.  When this secret silence is discovered, Todd must leave the only settlement in New World to hide and escape.  The only problem is whoever is after Todd can hear every thought he has.
The Knife of Never Letting Go was a high thrills young adult novel that was action packed from start to finish.  When I began the book I knew that it had a cliff hanger ending.  My friend Kathy lent me her copy and said, “Here is the biggest cliff hanger ending of any book I’ve ever read.” Wow, thanks Kathy!  She said it was well worth the read though and I have to completely agree. 
I enjoyed the style in which the book was written.  Ness writes the book in Todd’s voice, it sounds just like it would if he were speaking.  The audience only knows what he allows himself to think and speak, we are in his inner thoughts as well as everyone else in the story.  I enjoyed when characters would interact with the unspoken words and of course correct his horrible grammar in his mind.  I also loved Viola and the relationship that buds between her and Todd.  I loved learning with Todd about a whole world that he knew nothing of.  I want to continue to read the series just to find out what was written in Todd’s mom’s journal and find out what’s going to happen with Todd and Viola. 

This is not a book that I think I would have ever come across if Kathy had not handed it to me.  I’m thankful that she did and I look forward to continuing the series. 

Do you ever borrow books from people and are so thankful for the chance to read it?  What books have you read that you borrowed and didn’t want to give back?  Twilight was probably my first borrowed book that I didn’t want to give back.  Keep Reading my friends!

No comments: