Sunday, October 7, 2012

being Pretty is not all that it's cracked up to be


Pretties by Scott Westerfeld
Tally Youngblood has now received the surgery.  Growing up as a Littlie all she ever wanted was to become Pretty, to go to the Pretty parties and live her life according to plan.  She did some tricks as an Ugly, but she never wanted to go to The Smoke to rescue her friend Shay, she never wanted to fall for David, an Ugly that didn’t grow up in the city, but whom grew up in The Smoke.  But for some reason, being Pretty minded was not all that she had bargained for and as she receives a letter from herself explaining exactly what the Pretty surgery had done to her, she has to face a choice that will change her life forever.  As this story unfolds, the Specials seem to be one step ahead of The Smokies and Tally as a Pretty.  She has to continue her journey and take chances that she never wanted.  She also falls for Zane, something she never thought would happen especially while she was in the Smoke with David. 

I enjoyed this book very much.  The first book in the series was action packed from the beginning to the end, where Pretties started fairly slowly.  It took me the entire first section to get used to the change in Tally Youngblood’s inner voice.  The audience knows from the end of Uglies that she changes to a Pretty to be the guinea pig of the cure.  
The ending took a turn that I should have expected but didn’t.  She has a confrontation with David in front of Zane and it brought up some very interesting feelings within me.  I couldn’t believe how wrapped up I was in this girl’s love life.  She had to make a decision and I was horrified and relieved in how she reacted to the situation that was before her.

I’m about to start Specials.  I wonder how Shay is going to be a player in this next book of the series.  I wonder if they will change Tally to a creepy Special and how this storyline will play out with the Zane and David love triangle.  There’s only one way to find out… Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: