Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Dark is Something to Fear


Fear: A Gone Novel by Michael Grant
This was by far the best of the Gone novels up to now.  I would be lying if I said that I didn’t like this series, but I haven’t LOVED it like I thought I would.  It has been interesting and that is why I have continued to read and buy these books.  If I’m being completely honest (and why wouldn’t I be honest in my own blog) at some point after each book I have contemplated giving up, but I’ve wanted to know how it all ends, so I continue. 

What I liked about this book, compared to the first four books is that we know what’s going on outside of the FAYZ (Fallout Alley Youth Zone- an anomaly that appeared that we now know dispersed everyone over the age of 14 out of the 20 mile bubble that has trapped the children of Perdido Beach, California).  I liked knowing that Connie Temple, Sam and Caine’s mom has been tirelessly working on getting her sons back and freeing the other children from the bubble as well. 
What I did not like was I feel like I have even more questions than before I knew what was going on outside of the FAYZ.  What happened to all of the kids that have made the jump on their 15th birthday?  We heard about 2 of them, Mary being one of them, who when she made it out was so unrecognizable the hikers that found her called animal control.  There was mention of the twins, but Connie Temple never said if they were ok when they came out on the other end. 

I also did not like the baby becoming the Darkness or the gaiaphage.  The idea of a baby growing up really fast, even in the womb, and standing upright and walking on day 2 of life has been done before.  It was weird even then, when the audience had an explanation, with Breaking Dawn, Book 4 of the Twilight Saga, we found out that half human half vampire babies grow very fast and get to a certain age and stop growing.  Doesn’t make any sense, but the audience gets over it because we love the characters and want what’s best for them.  With Fear, even Diana is scared of her unborn child and therefore the idea of a fast accelerated pregnancy and birth is not good. 
Well this is book five, one more to go, the next book is called Light.  The first positive title so far, maybe, just maybe good things are coming to the kids of the FAYZ, for a while there I wasn’t so sure.  Light will be here in April 2013.

So, have you read this series?  Are you in love?  Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: