Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Love is a Battlefield


Delirium by Lauren Oliver

There is a cure for love.  The disease that can be transmitted causes horrible side effects and in some cases, even death.  Lena waits in anticipation for her procedure to be completed at the end of the summer on her eighteenth birthday, she and her best friend Hana have looked forward to their evaluations and being matched with an acceptable mate, career path and even the number of children the couple will have.  The government takes care of all of this for the citizens of the United States. But what happens when Deliria is contracted and love is caught?  This summer romance my not end exactly the way the reader anticipates.
I loved this book.  Delirium came highly recommended by my friend Traci.  She said it wouldn’t disappoint, and she was right.  It was well written with interesting characters.  I loved Lena and how she grew as a person throughout the entire story.  She kept surprising herself and doing activities that she would have never done months previous.  I also loved Alex, he was sweet and caring and had a good personality.  Hana was a little harder to understand and get to know.  She had this bad girl exterior but was contradicted with Lena’s perspective of her best friend whenever the law was supposed to come down. 

I love these young adult books that are different concepts.  I would put this book in the Hunger Games genre of a futuristic USA/North America.  I want to have creative juices flowing like this, I mean, who thinks of the concept of outlawing Love?  That’s crazy, but Oliver came up with it and sold lots of books, it will probably be a movie and make a few select people a lot of money.     
I would highly recommend this book to anyone that likes a good young adult read.  I can’t wait to start the next installment and then I will wait with crazy restraint for the third and I believe final book of the series. 

Let me know what you thought about this book!  Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: