Sunday, March 24, 2013

Who is without Hope?


Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Sky Davis is about to start her first year of high school, as a senior.  Her adopted mother Karen has been incredibly strict with her and has kept all technology out of the house including cell phones, TVs, computers, you name it the Davis family doesn’t have it.  Sky has been ok with this, but she has begged her mother to start public school to spend as much time with her best friend Six.  Every good book needs a little twist at the beginning, therefore Six has decided to go abroad and go to school overseas for 6 months and now Sky is starting her first year by herself.  She is struggling with a reputation she didn’t earn or deserve.  She meets Breckin, who is also new to school and therefore she can bear the “slut and whore” comments behind her back with a friend.  One fated day she goes to the grocery store and meets Dean Holder.  The most gorgeous creature she has ever laid eyes on, where the other boys in her school turn her off, when she meets eyes with Holder there is a physical response to his presence.  She can’t stop thinking about her encounter with this hopeless boy so she goes for a run, she literally runs to his house without realizing it.  There is so much that takes place in this book that I can’t give you a synopsis on everything.  

This book was awesome.  I could tell some things were coming, but I was taken by surprise by more twists in the story line than I was guessing correctly.  I loved the love story between Sky and Holder.  He was the perfect guy.  I couldn’t believe the things that would come out of his mouth, he was wise beyond his years and would say things to Sky that a normal senior in high school would not say.  This could pull a person out of the story and say “Yeah right!” but Holder was nothing but genuine and perfect.  I loved Sky’s funny sense of humor and the way she would just live her life, whether it was with Six, Holder, or Breckin she was fun and a great character to read. 
I gave this book 5 stars on good reads, I finished it the day after I started it, and I’ve already recommended it to other readers.  Everyone I know that has read it loved it and I think that any reader would fall for these characters and want the book to keep going and going.  I wonder though if it was a little graphic in the love scenes for a young adult book.  It wasn’t Fifty Shades of Cray or anything, but there were some pretty hot scenes that I wouldn’t want my teenage daughters (that I don’t have) reading it.  I would say 17 and older for this one.  Read this book, you won’t be disappointed.  Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: