Saturday, May 17, 2014

35 Girls. 1 Crown. The Compitition of a Lifetime.


The Selection by Kiera Cass
I have never watched the Bachelor or the Bachelorette.  Knowing human nature and especially how females can be within competition with a man involved, I can only imagine the claws coming out and the crying eyes and all of the hardships that would come along with living with women you don’t know and all the while, trying to impress the man of your dreams and so are the other 34 women. 

This is where we find America Singer, our heroine she is a five in the caste system of the country that was formally the USA, that is now called Illea.  She is part of the Selected (sorry for the mild spoiler, but really, it would be a very short book if she wasn’t chosen.  It would be like Katniss not being chosen for the Hunger Games).  She now is going to stay in the palace and compete for the Princes’ heart and hand in marriage.  The only problem is that her heart already belongs to Aspen, the boy from the lower caste back home.  As she struggles with her feelings for Maxon the Prince as her friend and Aspen as her first love, the country is in danger of falling apart with rebel attacks. 
I loved this book.  It was suggest to me by one of the students in my small group at church.  She loved both of the first books (as the third has not been released yet) and she kept bringing it up.  I found a small window in my reading schedule and decided to go for it.  I just have to say, thank you Alex!  What a wonderful suggestion.

What I liked about the book mainly was Maxon.  I’m for Maxon all the way, what a sweet prince.  I love every interaction we see with him and America.  I hope that Kiera Cass doesn’t try and change my mind, because I am not an Aspen fan.  I am very worried that Maxon isn’t all that he says he is.  What is he saying to the other girls when he’s spending alone time with them?  Can we trust him?  I guess we’ll find out.  I hope he is everything we Maxon fans hope and dream. 
I loved the character development in this book.  I felt like I knew America and felt bad that the other girls assumed that she was trying something when she was actually just being herself.  I liked that this book made me question everyone’s motives, I even thought that maybe the palace was faking the rebel attacks to see how the girls would act or react.  I also thought that maybe Maxon was giving American insider information to see if she would repeat it or if she was truly trustworthy. 

Read this book, read it just to get to know Maxon, if for nothing else, he is a great book crush.

Keep Reading my Friends!     

No comments: