Saturday, August 16, 2014

Team Maxon 4-Eva!


The Elite (A Selection Novel) by Kiera Cass
To become a princess, not only become a princess, but to marry the Prince in a rush of a fairytale… competition?  Wait, what’s romantic about competing with other women for the chance to marry the Prince of Illea?  Well if you are asking me, there is not much about it that sounds remotely romantic… until we meet Maxon Shreave, who can melt your heart with his words and make you want to scratch his eyes out with his actions.  There is not a fiber in my being that wants Aspen to be the man of America Singer’s dreams but I was about ready for America to quit the contest and become a nun when Maxon was enjoying Celeste’s company, I was seeing red, to the point that I thought that maybe the ink of the book was written in red.  

I have to admit that there are not a lot of plot twists in this series, I have not been caught off guard, I am very wary of Maxon’s actions and cautious of what he is saying to the other girls.  Actually, what is he saying to the other contestants? 
Either way, with or without plot twists, the story is good.  I could not put the book down and I felt passionately about slapping America at one point, I wanted to turn Aspen in for his treason, and I wanted to knee Maxon in the groin, again.  I actually missed Maxon in this book compared to The Selection.  I assumed that we would see more of him, but he seemed a little MIA and there was way too much Aspen.  Why do I dislike Aspen so much?  Maybe it’s just that in the comparison to Maxon it’s like apples and rotten oranges.  I don’t care how much he loves her, I don’t care how long they have known each other, any man that puts his wants and desires before her safety is not going to win any points in my book, i.e. she would be killed for treason if they get caught in what they are doing behind closed doors. 

The only problem is that when I finished this book and the next book didn’t come out for 10 days, which was torture, I would rather it be a year than just a few days.  What a great series!  I hope you pick it up and love it as much as I did!  A great young adult read that I can feel good about recommending to any reader!  Keep reading my Friends!

No comments: