Saturday, June 29, 2013

Dead Forever


Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse, #13) by Charlaine Harris

Well, that’s the end of that series.  I hate that I am not upset, after reading this series for years, I mean, years.  You would think that I would be lamenting, but I’m just sort of shrugging my shoulders and looking at my shelf wondering what to read next.  I have felt more for characters in a standalone book with no sequels than I do for almost all of the characters in these books. 
I guess what I don’t understand and am the most upset about is the fact that these books started so strong.  I read the first five books in 7 days.  I ate them up, I read the first 10 books in no time, and then I stopped.  Read books for a couple of years, I received book 11 from paperback swap and it sat on my shelf.  Just in the last couple of weeks, I picked it up and finished the series.  At the beginning I loved the romance between Sookie and Bill, then he broke her heart, so I officially wrote him off as did Harris.  Then the show came out and I decided that Eric was more my style, well lucky me, he became Sookie’s number one in the books and I loved that.  Then there were some distractions in there, a weretiger, a werewolf, some others of different natures, but Eric was the leading attraction of me staying with this series and then book 11 was read.  Poor Eric.  I don’t know if the fictional character of Eric would ever want to be called “Poor Eric,” but I could feel Harris changing Sookie’s heart and longings.  And “Poor Eric” was being left out in the cold.

Ok, here are my thoughts on Dead Ever After, spoilers ahead. Beware!
Plot holes.  Like major holes.  It was hard to decide when specific situations happened because it seemed like the next day, but then Harris would make it sound like it was a week ago.  The main bad guy was “a devil” but he just disappeared, we didn’t meet him or hear from him again after the preface. Weird. 

I hated that Sookie ends up with Sam.  Why did Harris want that from the beginning?  Why did Eric have to go to Oklahoma? Ugh, it was utterly ridiculous! Actually I shouldn’t say I hated the ending.  It was predictable.  As I finished Deadlocked I realized quickly how it was going to end.  Sookie’s enemies were back and they wanted to kill her, but not in an action packed way, in a normal Sookie bashing way. 
I feel like this blog stinks, so I’ll just end it here by saying goodbye to Sookie and the Bon Temp gang.  I am so glad I still have the television show and that it is taking a totally different route than the books, I hope with some creativity Sookie won’t turn into her grandmother and her and Eric will be together soon!

Would I suggest this book?  Sure, if you’ve been reading all these books, finish the series.  Would I suggest the series?  Yes, just get them from the Library.  Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: