Sunday, June 16, 2013

I Reckon I'll Continue Reading


Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, Bk. 11) by Charlaine Harris
Disappointed.  I hate to say it, but I was disappointed by the plot, the writing, the characters, the story, the whole book.  I do not place these books on a high pedestal, and this book was reported to me as not the best one of the series.  So even with low expectations, I was still sadly disappointed. 

I do not read Sookie Stackhouse books because they are intellectual, interesting or even time consuming.  I read these books because they are fun, easy, and they have some great romance in them.  This book was none of those things.  There was one sex scene in the entire book and the love theme between Sookie and Eric was sadly missing.  Where did the Eric that we love go?  Sarcastic and independent with his draw to Sookie that is so strong we feel it through the pages?    
One personality trait that I had not seen before while reading this series was that Sookie talks like a 70 year old woman sometimes.  I know she is supposed to be southern and she is supposed to have these southern sayings and such, but I am also southern and I have been reading Sookie Stackhouse books since I was her age or younger and with this last book I felt like she was an old woman.  I know no 25 year old that talks like that and I have lived in the south my entire life.  It’s just weird.  Sookie’s personality has changed and not for the better. 

It had been a very long time since I read the book previous, Dead in the Family, and therefore I had forgotten about the blood bond that came along with the marriage between Eric and Sookie.  I did not forget how angry I still am with Bill and how much I do not like him as a character, so please let me know why there is a nude scene between Sookie and Bill?  This is just a way for Harris to make her Bill fans happy.  Well Bill sucks and does not deserve Sookie, keep Bill out and keep Eric in!  Just my opinion, it’s my blog, you don’t have to agree. 

I gave this book 2 out of 5 stars on Goodreads, I would recommend this book only to those who are fans and wish to continue with the rest of the series.  I am reading on with the series because I still love the characters, but there better be more to sink our teeth into (pun intended) or I may have to give Sookie and the gang an eternal rest from my reading list.  Keep Reading my friends. 

No comments: