Saturday, June 1, 2013

I am the Circle and the Circle is me

The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking Novel by Patrick Ness

We find Todd exactly where we left him in The Knife of Never Letting Go, the first book of the Chaos Walking trilogy.  He is in the Cathedral begging for Viola’s life.  He had carried her to Haven only to meet Mayor Prentiss and his herd of men from Prentisstown.  In this second book of the trilogy, the audience reads both Todd and Viola’s perspective and we follow their paths as they are separated but both residing in New Prentisstown which was formally known as Haven.  There is so much going on in this book, it would be hard to outline it all. 

I love the characters, both Todd and Viola are great characters to sink into their thoughts, Viola whose thoughts are secret to those around her because she is a woman and Todd’s Noise speaks to all because his is a male.  It’s interesting to see Todd’s decisions and actions through Viola’s thoughts and no matter how bad his actions are she never loses faith in him.  The author also tries to bring another male character into the mix for a love triangle, but I wasn’t buying it.  There is no one else except Todd. 
I loved the ending.  I was sitting on the edge of my seat and I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen, but as the last book, cliff hanger.  I was actually given The Knife of Never Letting Go as “the craziest cliff hanger of all times.”  I’m not sure that I agree with that, but my friend also didn’t enjoy The Ask and the Answer and I did.  I think second book has a bigger cliff hanger than the first and I cannot wait to start Monsters of Men to finish this series and find out what happens.

The Ask and the Answer was an interesting title.  I assumed it had to do with Todd and Mayor, excuse me, President Prentiss’ first interaction where President Prentiss says a sentence about asking and answering, but in all actuality it has to do with President Prentiss’ rebuttal to Mistress Coyle’s terrorist group, The Answer that started during the Spackle War when the new settlers came to the new world. 
All of this to say if you like Aliens, War, hearing men’s thoughts, suspense, with a little splash of romance (maybe), then this series is for you.  I found it at the library, but I’m sure you can find it at any book store.  I hope you enjoyed the blog and I hope you enjoy a good book soon!  Keep reading my friends! 

No comments: