Tuesday, November 18, 2008

12 years later I finally read Bridget Jones's Diary



Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones’s Diary is fun, quick read, full of embarrassing moments that the female audience can connect with. The book style is as if the reader is actually reading Jones’s diary with daily/weekly entries.

It has been said, by some, that Bridget Jones’s Diary is a modern rendition of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (P&P). I would totally agree! Starting at the first interaction with, yes, that’s right, Mr. Darcy (Mark Darcy) being at a party and it is hate at first sight between Darcy and Bridget Jones (or so we think). There is actually a line in the diary that Jones comments on the fact that there stands Mr. Darcy all by himself at a party looking irritated. I actually laughed out loud thinking about P&P. Another similarity is the thought of Darcy not linking Jones (Mr. Darcy & Elizabeth Bennet), Jones not liking Darcy (Bennet & Darcy) then a twist in the plot and everything is turned upside down. Also in P&P/BJD, Darcy disappears for a point of time and does one huge good deed and all for Jones/Bennet, to win her affection. There are a few other parallels, but you’ll just have to read both books and find them for yourself.

Having watched the movie before reading the book, I knew which actor played each character. In the book the author mentions both leading actors at different times (Hugh Grant and Colin Firth). I thought that was just too funny that she would only mention two male actors and they end up being in the movie. Along the lines of the movie, I was surprised by the many differences between the book and the movie. Of course I liked the book more than the film version and mainly because it stuck closer with the plot of Pride and Prejudice than the movie did (again, I’ll let you find these on your own).

Just to bring this blog to a more personal level, in the diary, I found it funny that in the month of June, Jones is obsessing with planning her “mini-break” with her boyfriend Daniel Cleaver but he doesn’t want to talk about it or discuss it. Simon and I are the opposite, he plans all of our vacations, obsessing over them for months, picking out all the restaurants and attractions (which I appreciate), and I’m like “don’t ask me, I don’t care.” Another interesting point was the fact that Jones was ALWAYS running late and writing about it in her diary. I just wanted to yell at her, “Put the danged book down and get ready for your date, or for work, or wherever you’re going, and you won’t be late.” I hate being late- I bet that is a cultural issue though, we American’s are always in a hurry. One funny part that made me laugh every time was Jones’s mother, she said “Drrrrr” all the time. Could you imagine talking to someone and instead of saying “um” or just pausing they say “Drrrrr.” It made me laugh out loud. Also, I enjoyed the English phrases that I didn’t understand, but were fun to read, like: “I haven’t seen you for yonks” (quite a long time) or “Turkey Curry Buffet” instead of just saying New Year’s Day party, or the Tarts and Vicars party, for which Jones dressed like a bunny. Of course there were the British words in BJD that I previously learned in Harry Potter, like “snogging” (kissing/making out), “prat” (incompetent person), and “bloody” (kind of a curse or intensifier, i.e.: “Bloody Hell”). Anyway, this is a quick fun read that I suggest for any female (sorry guys I don’t think that you would enjoy it very much-I could be wrong, let me know if I am). But, one thing I would caution readers about is language. I know that there are cultural differences, but I still would caution those that do not particularly like language to be warned (especially if you dislike the F-bomb). Let me know what you think! Coming Soon- Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason- Stay Tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is true, I am a vacation planner. I love vacations, but not as much as I love you. How cheesy am I?