Saturday, November 29, 2008

Skipping Christmas... I wouldn't dream of it



Skipping Christmas By: John Grisham

The love that is all things Christmas, this love is something I inherited from my mom. When I was growing up, the day after Thanksgiving was always a joyous day at the Bennett household. On that day many rush out to get a good deal, to fight the crowds, and get all the good door busters. But we would stay at home and eat left over turkey and apple pie, pull out boxes, and decorate for Christmas. There was always some hokey Christmas movie on tv, or at the very least there was Christmas music playing on the cd player and we would get busy. This was also an exhausting day. My mom does nothing half way (right Will?), I promise, we cleaned the entire house, floors, cabinets, shelves, everything would be dust free, and decorated in snow for the snowmen, or torn up burlap bags for the nativity scenes. Some people may read this and freak out, saying, it’s too much. Others may read it and sigh knowing exactly what I’m talking about. Some would think that I would absolutely hate Christmas because of all the craziness the holiday season was around my childhood, but no matter, I love it! I had to work on Black Friday (the slowest day of my working career) and so I started the decorating on Thanksgiving. Simon and I had a nice relaxing day, no cooking, no family, just enjoyed each other’s company. Of course it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving for Simon without a little football, and it wouldn’t be a day at all if I didn’t have a good book in my hands.

Skipping Christmas was a very quick read. I started it Thursday and finished it on Saturday and I’m reading another book at the same time. It was a very sweet story that touches your heart in the end. The reason I picked it up was because of the author. As much as I read, I have never read a John Grisham novel, so I thought, “what the heck… why not?” Since it is so small, if I hate him as an author it wouldn’t be that much of a waste. But I enjoyed it and I have acquired another book by him, “The Summons,” I’ll let you know how that goes as soon as I get to it.

I thought it ironic that I would put this book down and decorate my tree, or move a box, or even hum a carol while putting together my New England series Christmas village. The book is about a husband and wife that have just watched their only daughter board a plane to join the Peace Corps for a year and right before Christmas. They decide that instead of running through the hustle and bustle of Christmas, they are going to take a break this year and go on a Cruise. They figure that they are going to have a hard time declining parties and not accepting or giving gifts, but they don’t have any idea of the hard times ahead of them. From angry neighbors, to constant carolers at their home, this is one Christmas the Kranks are never going to forget.

Please read the book this season, it doesn’t take long, and it is a treat. Let me know what you think about this blog or if you have read the book, what you think about it. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Jody said...

Welcome to the empty nest...most evenings Gail and I are reading with the TV in the background...well, kinda empty as we are sitting my olsest son's dog while he is working the oilfield...bookworms need to stick together...glad you are posting about the reading!

CharityReads said...

I love to read, it's like a drug to me :), I hope things are going well!