Saturday, November 15, 2008

Childhood favorite... or College :)



It’s the Chroni-what-cles, of Narnia… haha… just a little shout out to my SNL buddy… Let’s talk about C.S. Lewis’ The Chronicles of Narnia. This seven book series is usually a childhood favorite amongst people from everywhere around the world. I was introduced to this particular series when I was in college. Simon, (again, my husband whom I love) just randomly was talking about books that he grew up on and mentioned The Chronicles of Narnia, and I was like “Chronawhich of Whonia???” He was appalled that I grew up in a Christian home, in the south, was a reader from a young age but had never even heard of this Christian classic.

When Simon and I were dating, and first married we shared a passion for coffee, reading, and each other (hopefully this last one is still true, right babe? J). We would go to Books A Million ever Friday & Saturday evening, browse the shelves pick up random books and magazines and spend hours drinking venti white chocolate mochas, reading books and talking. This was the first place I read Chronicles of Narnia. Like most newly married couples we didn’t have two pennies to rub together, so there was no way that I could buy the series, it would have set us back at least $100 bones, so I sat at the BAM café and read. I read all seven in no time. I then decided it was time to get a library card and those were the first books I borrowed from the library. I read them twice in a row. This also started me on a C.S. Lewis kick (see Why am I here??? blog for definition of “kick”). I read Til we have Faces, Letters of C.S. Lewis, and started but never finished Screwtape Letters. He is such a great author, but sometimes I think I’m not smart enough to read his stuff. Maybe I’ll write about that some other time.

Lewis created a world that I was fascinated by the imagery and the imagination. These books got me thinking about not only fantasy, but about my relationship with Christ. I would think of how Christ had made this same sacrifice for me in the “real world” and would cry (really Charity, you would cry? Does that really happen???). The story of these children finding Aslan and getting to know him in a deeper way every visit to Narnia, it was breath taking. The parallelism between this fantasy story and our real walk with Christ was awesome. Now it’s not perfect, Lewis dabbles in a little bit of universalism and I know some parents have taken a particular scene out, when reading The Last Battle to their children. But I do believe that Lewis is in heaven with Christ even though he had this extra belief. The books are a fast read, with interesting characters that you will love or hate then grow to love and everything in between. I would highly suggest these books for kids of all ages, the young or young at heart. But if you have children and you have not introduced them to this series, then please do so as quickly as possible.

They have recently started making the books into films. I’m not sure if they are going to venture and do all 7 films. They started with The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe, which was the first in the series that Lewis wrote, and the second in chronological order. They have made Prince Caspian, and they are supposed to have The Voyage of the Dawn Treador out in theaters in 2010 (which happens to be my favorite book of the series). The movies have relatively stayed close to the written form, except some small differences to make the transfer from the pages to film a little easier. Two of the biggest differences in Prince Caspian, was the battle where most of the Narnians die (that happens in the book, just before the Pevensie children arrive and it was not Peter’s fault). The second was that kiss at the end between Caspian and Susan… my thought on this added scene was maybe that scene just brings it to life for this generation, but who knows.

Back to the books, I have now read the series 3 times and I still don’t own it. I read it the last time right before Prince Caspian came out in the theater in summer 2008. I will probably read it a few more times in my life, at least when I start reading it to my kids (that I don’t have). I will try later to summarize each book, but that’s all for right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even if I lose my taste buds or become illiterate, my love for you will never change.
Great Blog Charity, you are doing an incredible job expressing your thoughts and sharing your love of reading.
I cannot wait until the next chapter.

Jenna Cox said...

yay!! Charity, i am SO glad that you are blogging! Keep it up my friend! And P.S. are you guys in T-town for THanksgiving?