Friday, November 14, 2008

Why am I here???











Twilight (sigh)…

These books have ruined my life, not necessarily in a bad way, but I guess in a very good way. I am a silly girl, I get on these kicks…let me explain. For lunch for years I brought a frozen meal (Lean Cuisine or Weigh Watcher Smart Ones) and yogurt. Then I got tired of that and started making sandwiches, but my lunch consisted of the same thing (turkey sandwich, small bag of chips, yogurt, apple) every day for a very long time, then back to frozen meals and yogurt adding an apple, but I found a cheaper version called Lean Gourmet. Now for the last 2 months I have been taking canned soup, 10 crackers, apple, and yogurt, every day for 2 months this has been my meal. Why? Well the kicks, remember? Ok, well why should books be any different? I am a creature of habit. I use the same stall at my work restroom, I have the same routine every morning, and I read. When I find a book that I enjoy more than any others (see Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter blogs) I obsess over the book. Twilight has done this to me again. I’ve read the series (twice in one month), I can’t stop thinking about it. I’ve had dreams about it, I’ve found articles, websites, and interviews about the series, and it has sparked a new kind of love for reading.

I am a reader. I love to read. If you see me, ask me what I’m reading, I will have an answer for you, it might be an explanation, such as, “I just finished a book at lunch and when I get home I’m going to start a new book.” But regardless I’m reading something. The librarians at the Texarkana Public Library know my face. I go in every Saturday and exchange my books that I finished from the previous week and get new ones. This summer was a busy time in my life and I ventured into the realm of Hobbits, Elves, and Wizards. I’m always behind the times and with the trilogy The Lord of the Rings was no exception. The books were written in between 1937-1949, not saying that I should have read them back then, but I still was behind the times of pop-culture. I was in college when the first movie came out in 2001 and I waited 7 years to read the books after they were made famous by the movies (more on this in a later blog-see Lord of the Rings). This series took me from May to August to read. Since I own this series, I did not venture into the Library for that 4 month interval, and when I came back the librarians wanted to know where I had been hiding.

Ok, back to Twilight ruining my life... whenever I finished Breaking Dawn (4th book in the twilight series), it was 8:30pm on a Saturday night, I was so sad. Not about the book, just that the series that I was so involved in for the last 10 days was over. I couldn’t believe it. I picked up the Hobbit, but all I wanted to do was read about Bella and Edward. So I went to bed at like 9pm very sad. The next morning I had great expectations of cleaning my house (you know because the last 10 days all I had done was read and my house wad DIRTY!), but there was Breaking Dawn sitting on my kitchen table. I picked it up thinking I’ll just read the one particular chapter again and then I’ll clean. Well 6 hours later I was way past that chapter and wasn’t about to stop except we have church at my house and I had to at least sweep up the dog hair that had gathered on the floor. I finished Breaking Dawn for the second time sometime that week, and then re-read the whole series. After I had finished it, I couldn’t stop reading, anything, everything! It was like a hunger had built up inside of me and my eyes couldn’t get tired. I got online and read the first eleven chapters of Midnight Sun three times. I went to the library and started the Queen of Babble three book series by Meg Cabot. By the time November of 2008 started I had read 16 books in 35 days. I had friends referring me to free counselors for addiction problems. All of this reading was because of a love story between a normal girl and a vampire.

Now, it is mid-November, I have read more books that will be blogged later and I thought, you know, I have opinions about books. I like to share and express my opinions, maybe, just maybe, someone would like to read what I have to say. If nothing else I will get the urge to write out of my system. Because reading all of these silly novels has given me a writing bug, but since I’m a terrible writer, I should just blog my ideas and thoughts (where mistakes are forgivable) and leave the writing to the professionals. Although, Stephanie Meyer (author of Twilight) was an amateur and I can only imagine all the money that she is rolling in. I guess that’s what editors and publicists are for J. Well for now, I’ll stick with my reading kick and give you my opinions on the fabulous works of literature that I pick up.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

You are so funny! Love your book blog! I love to read..didn't know we had that in common and we've known each other for how long? Anyway...I loved the Twilight saga and I couldn't stop reading them! My eyes were twitching for days b/c of the strain of reading small print! My poor children were very neglected, forget about my home! Wish I was seeing the movie with you, however, we already know that it's not going to be as good as the book. Love you, miss you-Rae

Anonymous said...

I'll admit, I'm probably not as obsessed as you...but I do like the series a little much too...and I have had dreams too. Even more when I was reading Harry Potter though. I had lots of dreams of being involved in the stories. Weird. But you'll live, just like you did with Harry Potter =) I hope you enjoy the movie though! Maybe it will be almost as good as the book?
Love,
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know that someone else had the same addiction to Twilight (and the sadness that went with it once it was over... Took a few days and i a couple of quick happy easy reads to recover from it) and the same addiction to books :) I was so sad to think how long I would have to go before I find another book that I actually felt like I did Twilight and so Fabian (my absolutely wonderful fiancee!) took me to dinner Friday night and then followed me for hours at Half Price Books while i searched for a few new books to entertain myself with :) (He skipped the new 007 movie to take me to the bookstore :) Fabian puts up with my addiction to reading, and although we haven't found his reading niche (so that we can enjoy books together) he is a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan and we bought it on CD so we could listen to it together :) So I love the blog, and I would love to hear about the new books you are reading and I will follow your blog on the off chance you read something I haven't already that sounds good :)

~Hannah~

Melody said...

I loved your blog and didn't think it was too long. I also read it three times! I've never read a book twice until Twilight, I bought all four at once and read them in five days (during the week while I was working full time) LOL I immediately started reading them again because I had already started forgetting stuff. Stephanie Meyer has a true gift. She really makes you feel what the characters are feeling. I have read great works of literature and while I am glad that have done so, none have ever stayed with me like this series.