Thursday, December 4, 2008

Babble This, Babble That!

Queen of Babble by: Meg Cabot

Lizzie Nichols has problems. They seem to find her everywhere she goes and usually because of her big mouth. She is at her college graduation party and finds out she’s not graduating until she writes a 50 page thesis paper on the History of Fashion. She goes to England to spend time with her boyfriend and finds out that he is not only fashionably retarded, but a liar, gambler, and so much more. She was supposed to spend a month in England with Andrew, but finds that she can’t stay with him anymore, so she searches out her best friend Shari who is working at Château Mirac in the Dordogne wine country in France. On her way, she meets American Jean-Luc de Villiers on the Chunnel and spills her guts to him in an embarrassing display. Low and behold Jean-Luc is the owner’s son of the very Château that she is trying to find. Her troubles don’t stop there, but you’ll have to read it to see how Lizzie can use her big mouth to get out of the mess that she has gotten herself into.

Meg Cabot had me rolling, this book was laugh out loud funny. I read while sitting on the couch with my husband, Simon and he kept asking me what I was laughing about. The “babble” that comes out of Lizzie’s mouth is fascinating and her character is gripping. Cabot introduces us to characters that are interesting and hard to resist. I loved Lizzie’s obsession with vintage clothing, and her constant cheating on her diet. This book is a quick read and a lot of fun. It is the first of the series that is well worth your time.

Here’s the disclaimer: this book is rated R for sexual content and language. Please do not read this book, if you are under that age of, oh, I don’t know, 18… There are sexual scenes that are not horribly graphic, but I would feel better about liking this book if I knew I wasn’t endorsing it to my younger readers.

No comments: