Sunday, December 7, 2008

Triangle of Love... Good or Bad?



Eclipse By: Stephanie Meyers

Isn’t it funny whenever you read a book, the plot is usually a very small portion of the main character’s life. Usually the book is not a compilation of the person’s birth to their death. So, it makes you wonder (if the author doesn’t tell you) what happened before I was introduced to this character. Who was this person, and why all of a sudden is there so much action taking place now, when apparently there was no action before I was introduced to the story? I have not pondered this thought before to the extent that I have recently. This phenomenon is especially blatant in the life of Bella Swan from the Twilight series. After Bella decides to move to Forks, Washington to live with her father, her life is turned upside down. So, answer me this, what was her life like in Phoenix? Was it horribly boring? Did she have any friends, or a life at all? We know from Twilight that she never had a boyfriend, she’s a loner, never wants to be the center of attention, doesn’t have any friends from Arizona (or at least not close enough to ever mention them or talk to them when she moves to Forks). So, was our klutzy heroine even an interesting person before she moved? Why do we love her and find her interesting at all? Is it because of Edward (our vampire hero)? Just a thought, because in Eclipse Bella is in more trouble now than ever before.

To sum up Eclipse, I would say, this book is the actual definition of a “love triangle.” I have found just recently that there are quite a few books out there that have love triangles, but this one takes the cake. It is so intense and crazy that it will make you want to slap your mama. Ok, maybe not that crazy, but the series so far in a nutshell is, Twilight is the story of Bella and Edward’s love, and New Moon is the story of Bella and Jacob’s friendship, therefore Eclipse is the story of who will she pick- Edward or Jacob? She is romantically involved with Edward, but her heart also longs to keep her best friend Jacob Black as close as possible.

Eclipse is probably my favorite book of the series, there is a lot of action, some sweet scenes between Edward and Bella, some comedic relief, everything you need or want in a good book. Of course I would not suggest reading this book before you have read the first two of the series, but within the series, it is great!

Ok, you knew it was coming, so without further ado… here are the SPOILERS… Now if you have read Eclipse this is going to be Spoilers for Eclipse only, not Breaking Dawn, so proceed. If you have not read Eclipse, do not read further.

What makes a good book? For me, I would say surprise is a key element to realize if an author is doing a good job, within a book. If I can read a book and I’m not constantly looking for a twist in the plot or trying to figure out who the bad guy is, then it’s a good thing. If I’m wrapped up in the story, and the author has grabbed my attention enough to keep my mind in the present location of the story, then Wham! me with a surprise, that’s awesome! With Eclipse, I never tried to figure out who was coming after Bella. For example, In chapter 7 Bella is kidnapped by Alice to have a “slumber party,” aka, Edward was trying to keep Bella safe and away from La Push & Jacob. After Bella goes back home she notices that her room is clean, her pillow and half of her dirty laundry is missing. She assumes Alice cleaned up her room whenever she got her stuff for the “slumber party,” but in reality, an unknown vampire stole her things to take her scent to a newborn vampire army, to destroy her. Wait a sec…Do What?!?!?! Haha, I would have never guessed that, but the way Meyer writes it, or the way she has Bella think about it, it never made me think anything else besides, Alice must have cleaned her room for her. Bella’s cluelessness is bliss for surprises. Other Surprises I didn’t see coming- Jacob’s first kiss (when she punched him), Jacob tricking Bella into kissing him and then Edward not being mad at all (crazy… I thought he would be pissed, at least at Jacob), Edward calling the deal off (marriage/trying to be intimate/turning her into a vampire).

Praise for Eclipse: Eclipse brings the first two books together perfectly. Meyer integrates concepts from Twilight and New Moon, while introducing new concepts that will be further explored in Breaking Dawn. For example, one concept that was first introduced in Twilight was the painting in Carlisle’s office of the 3 men and Carlisle (Aro, Caius, and Marcus-the Volturi), that Edward shows Bella during her first visit to the Cullen’s home. Then we are reintroduced by name only in the first chapter of New Moon. (This is where Edward tells Bella that he doesn’t plan to live long after she dies and that dying is almost impossible for a vampire, but the Volturi would be able to do this for him). Then we meet them in person at the end of New Moon when Bella saves Edward from trying to kill himself. They have a small role in Eclipse, but they are still present. Then they play a very large role in Breaking Dawn.

Another praise is the fight scene at the end of Eclipse, it is fantastic. There is the perfect amount of suspense and action. I liked the imagery of how Edward has always been likened to a lion or a cat, and Victoria also in Bella’s mind was like a wild cat and then when they fight, it was lion against lioness. Also the fight in Bella’s mind was like a deadly dance, I enjoyed that word pictures. In the end, I was ok with this fight scene because one of the main characters gets hurt (I know I’m crazy, but it just can’t have too happy of an ending, it’s just not very realistic that way). It’s not just the happiest ending, Bella chooses Edward in the end, so Jacob is crushed, but no one important dies in the fight.

This is the end of my Eclipse blog, but please enjoy a few of my favorite quotes from the book listed below. Let me know what you think about this blog and the book Eclipse. Thanks for reading!

Here are some of my favorite quotes or scenes:
The outside world holds no interest for me without you. (Edward)

I’m really glad Edward didn’t kill you. Everything’s so much more fun with you around. (Emmett)

So the consensus was that I was just supposed to forget that a deranged vampire was stalking me, intent on my death. (Bella)

I love him. Not because he’s beautiful or because he’s rich! I’d much rather he weren’t either one. It would even out the gap between us just a little bit — because he’d still be the most loving and unselfish and brilliant and decent person I’ve ever met. Of course I love him. How hard is that to understand? (Bella)

Yes, because a vampire slumber party is the pinnacle of safety conscious behavior. (Bella)

Does my being half-naked bother you? (Jacob)

You’re quite adorable when you’re jealous. It’s surprisingly enjoyable. (Edward)

That was not kissing back, that was trying to get you the hell off of me, you idiot. (Bella)

Emmett watched curiously as Edward helped me carefully out of the car. His eyes zeroed in on my hand I cradled against my chest. Emmett grinned. “Fall down again, Bella?” I glared at him fiercely. “No, Emmett. I punched a werewolf in the face.” Emmett blinked and then burst into a roar of laughter. (Bella & Emmett)

I didn’t have the faintest idea how to be seductive. I would just have to settle for flushed and self-conscious. (Bella)

I had no right to want you — but I reached out and took you anyway. And now look what’s become of you! Trying to seduce a vampire. (Edward)

You know, Jacob, if it weren’t for the fact that we’re natural enemies and that you’re also trying to steal away the reason for my existence, I might actually like you. (Edward)

But, if I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that. (Edward)

All of my best nights have happened since I met you. (Edward)

When I left you, Bella, I left you bleeding. Jacob was the one to stitch you back up again. That was bound to leave its mark — on both of you. I’m not sure those kinds of stitches dissolve on their own. I can’t blame either of you for something I made necessary. I may gain forgiveness, but that doesn’t let me escape the consequences. (Edward)

I just beheaded and dismembered a sentient creature not twenty yards from you. That doesn’t bother you? (Edward)

It’s a good thing you’re bulletproof. I’m going to need that ring. It’s time to tell Charlie. (Bella)

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Eclipse was by far my favorite book in the Twilight series, to me it gives Edward and Bella's love this great definition that it never had before. After reading Eclipse, I was very satisfied with a greater knowledge of why Bella and Edward love each other so much.

Plus, I love the character Jacob : ) His character appeals to me far more than Edward's character does, but I'm glad that Bella didn't wind up with Jacob. Lol, I'll stop now, I could go on forever about my opinions of Jacob versus Edward.

I love your blog!! : D Keep writing!

CharityReads said...

It's funny how each person has different thoughts on Jacob vs. Edward. I think that the reason I like Edward more is because my husband is a lot like Edward (in some ways, but not all) and Jacob actually reminds me of my little brother, so that's why I'm Team Edward... Cold Sparkly Vampire all the way! Haha, thanks for reading, and I've added you so I'll be seeing what you are reading as well!

Danielle said...

It is funny, my friends all think that I'm weird 'cause I'm more drawn to the werewolves than the vampires *Shrug*

I'll just shorten my long Jacob-rants to the simple saying "to each his (or her, in this case) own"

Thank you : ) I don't read nearly as much as you do, but I read a fair bit and give my opinions of certain books on my blog. Mostly I'm into fantasy and sci-fi, but occasionally I'll go outside my comfort zone and read a book that my friends recommend.