Thursday, December 18, 2008

kissin' cousins...



Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Wuthering Heights was first published in 1847. Interesting piece of information, the Bronte sisters first published their work under male aliases in order to be published without the prejudices of being a female writer (Emily’s sister was Charlotte Bronte, author of Jane Eyre). Wuthering- to blow with a low roaring sound or windy weather (yes, I looked it up to make sure I knew what it meant). This was an estate owned by the Earnshaw family, the main characters of the book are Catherine Earnshaw (Linton) and an adopted son who’s first and last name was Heathcliff. The home is aptly named for the windy weather that has permanently bent trees on the property. The book has two narrators, one is Mr. Lockwood, the man who is renting Thrushcross Grange from Heathcliff and also Ellen "Nelly" Dean, the nanny of Catherine Linton Heathcliff (daughter of Catherine Earnshaw Linton and Edgar Linton). The story has many plots, but the main being the love between Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw Linton. As the audience, we are learning the story from Nelly, as she tells it to Mr. Lockwood.

This classic of English literature was a fascinating read. Although it took some time to get through, it was not as difficult of a read as I thought it would be. From the beginning I was confused about what was going on. I think I had some presuppositions about how the book was going to be narrated. I assumed, knowing that the book was about two characters named Catherine and Heathcliff, that one of those characters would be the narrator. Confusion started on the first page when the narrator is talking about Heathcliff being “A capital fellow!” which I knew to be untrue from a synopsis I read. When Mr. Lockwood is talking about being a tenant of Heathcliff’s I was puzzled and had to go back and get all preconceived thoughts out of my head. Whenever I got to the 4th chapter I realized what was going on and I was able to focus on the story, so don’t be discouraged in the beginning, keep reading!

I think that this book should be on everyone’s must read list. I love the language! Bronte is very poetic, her characters can’t just say “I love you” they say things like “I cannot live without my life. I cannot live without my soul.” Of course the language of the 1800’s is unfamiliar to me, so I kept the online dictionary up anytime I was reading. Also, I can imagine that Emily Bronte received quite a bit of criticism for her work in her time. It shocked me how some of the character’s personas were portrayed, I’m sure that because of her character’s attitudes she probably had some difficulties. Catherine is an entirely selfish person and Heathcliff is surly, rude, and disagreeable. They couldn’t live with each other and they couldn’t live without one another either. It is a crazy love/hate story that all lovers of literature should read. I enjoyed this book thoroughly and I hope that you will pick it up and give it a try. Let me know what you thought about this blog or if you have read Wuthering Heights, what did you think about the book?

Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:

It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him; and that not because he’s handsome, Nelly, but because he’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same; and Linton’s is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire. (Catherine Earnshaw)

That is how I'm loved! Well, never mind. That is not my Heathcliff. I shall love mine yet; and take him with me: he's in my soul. (Catherine Linton)

Kiss me again, but don't let me see your eyes! I forgive what you have done to me. I love my murderer--but yours! How can I? (Catherine Linton)

If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it...Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being. (Catherine Linton)

I wish you had sincerity enough to tell me whether Catherine would suffer greatly from his loss: the fear that she would restrains me. And there you see the distinction between our feelings: had he been in my place, and I in his, though I hated him with a hatred that turned my life to gall, I never would have raised a hand against him. You may look incredulous, if you please! I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. The moment her regard ceased, I would have torn his heart out, and drunk his blood! But, till then - if you don't believe me, you don't know me - till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head! (Heathcliff)

And I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered DO haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts HAVE wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only DO not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I CANNOT live without my life! I CANNOT live without my soul! (Heathcliff)

1 comment:

Melody said...

I have to admit, I read Wuthering Heights because it was on my "to read" list and felt like I had to, but once I started I couldn't put it down. I didn't know anything about it before I started and like you, I was confused about the narration at first, but what totally shocked me was the character of Heathcliff! I had just finished Pride and Prejudice and guess I was expecting a Mr. Darcy. I doubt I'll ever read it again because it's so dark but I'll definitely remember it!