Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I have NO idea why this book is called Crash... Anyone?


Crash by Nicole Williams
Lucy doesn’t know that her day at the beach would change her life forever.  With a dog from the animal shelter and her flirting with the hot guy playing football, she has no idea what’s coming. 

Crash was a great book.  I loved the characters.  At first I did not like Lucy, but ended up feeling a little more attached to her by the end.  I think the reason I had to warm up to her is that when the author wanted the audience to know something about Lucy she just told us in her inner monologue instead of making it part of a conversation or in action.  In my opinion there were some missed creative outlets on how we could have gotten to know Lucy a little better, made bigger surprises and not changed the story, plot or outline of the book. 
I loved Jude Ryder.  He was the quintessential bad boy and he fell hard for Lucy.  At first we don’t know why he fell so hard and so fast, but it is revealed a little later (I won’t spoil it because it’s a great part of the story).  I also liked that he stood up for her and defended her and that he had such a reputation that everyone listens to him and does what he says.  I did not love his beanie, but I was glad that we got see what the deal is with that.  I had a greater appreciation for the beanie after this book was over.

I don’t know why, but it felt like the dancing idea was an afterthought.  It felt a little forced like Lucy had to have something that she was passionate about, but Williams didn’t know what.  I could (and I probably am) way off base.  It wasn’t a distraction, but a thought. 
I enjoyed Lucy and Ryder together.  Of course all good love triangles have to have a miscommunication of epic proportions and Crash didn’t disappoint.  Lucy misunderstood a situation and broke the only good thing going for her (ok, so she has dance going for her, but let’s be honest, Jude is the reason we read this book).  I was surprised how quickly she switched gears from Jude to Diamond.  If you are that enthralled with a boy then I think you are going to wait more than one day.  That’s just me though. 

There was a surprise at the end that I didn’t see coming, I also loved the last chapter, it was excellent.  I knew what was coming, but I got excited about it anyway.  I hope my blog didn’t chase you off from reading Crash or it’s following books, great book, just a weak blog about a good book!  Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: