Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Wicked, Nasty, Baby Doll, and Harmful. Just a few to get you Started.


Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
I am unsure what to say about Sharp Objects.  First of all, it was disturbing.  I feel like I am a disturbed person if I say I loved it.  But, it was well written.  Flynn does an excellent job of describing the characters and slowly letting you into their circle.  Chapter by chapter we learned more about our main character and her struggles.  We find out more about her home life and how she grew up while she is reporting murders of 2 young girls from her home town.  While dealing with her crap, she’s trying to write the next great story, when she obviously isn’t very good at her job.  The more the audience finds out about her character and the more we find out about her home town and her family, the more we don’t like them.  Any of them. 

Flynn paints a beautiful picture of a messed up character, how messed up?  Well the name of the book should have been a spoiler, but I guess I’m just not that smart. 
So, the bottom line is, was it a good book?  Absolutely.  Would I recommend it?  Yes.  Is it freaking depressing and highly disturbing?  Undoubtedly. 

Keep reading my friends.

No comments: