Sunday, August 18, 2013

Yay for Good Guys in Good Books!


What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
Identity Crisis.  McLean doesn’t know who to be in her new town with her dad.  Her parents divorced two years ago and have been having custody battles and things have not been going well between McLean and her mom since she left McLean’s dad for another man.  McLean’s dad, Gus Sweet is a restaurant consultant and he goes where his boss moves him, to the dying restaurants of the company his boss owns.  McLean knows by the food how long they are going to be in a new location.  Since she’s been in 4 new towns in the last two years, she’s got pretty good at packing up her life and starting over.  The starting over has been starting with a different persona as well.  From the Cheerleader to the Drama Queen, from changing her name to Lizbet to Beth, in her new town she doesn’t know who she will be, until she realizes that sometimes a move can become permanent in your heart.  Of course it doesn’t hurt to get to know the boy next door Dave, maybe he can help her find her true identity.

I have never read a Sarah Desson book before.  I still haven’t “read” her books, I listened to this one on my commute to work.  I loved it.  I can’t wait to actually read one now.  Her characters are perfect.  They each have a unique quirk to them and personality.  I loved McLean, she was a great POV character and her confusion and fear and confidence were excellent.  I loved Dave.  He was such a great hero, literally the boy next door and so much fun to read about.  Anytime he was in the picture I knew it was going to be a great interaction.  He pulled out the real McLean from just being a great guy. 
I highly recommend this book.  If you don’t have time to read it, I suggest listening to it, at the very least.  I have no idea if the grammar was good of if there were mistakes, you can’t quite catch things like that when you are stuck in traffic, but like I said before, the characters were amazing and fun and I didn’t want to the book to end. 

I hope to read a Desson book very soon!  Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: