Sunday, August 4, 2013

Going, Going, Gone.


Losing It by Cora Carmack
It.  The most non- descriptive word I’ve ever seen in a title that can mean so much.  Losing it.  Was Bliss Edwards losing something as trivial as her wallet, or as horrible as her mind?  Nope, we’re talking about the elusive IT, sex.  Bliss is an almost college graduate who is ready to lose her V-Card, or is she?  When she mistakenly tells her best girl-friend Kelsey that she was a virgin, “it” takes her life in a crazy tailspin.  She goes to a bar with the actual intent to have a one night stand and meets our British hunk Garrick Taylor.  With quite an interesting meeting and first night together, she hopes to never see Garrick again.  Well it would have been an extremely short book if that was true, but no more spoilers here, you’ll have to read it to see what happens.

This book is a New York Times best seller, but what I’ve seen on good reads has mixed reviews.  Most books, either the collective audience loves it with 4 or 5 stars or they are the dramatic opposite and they hate the book with 1or 2 stars.  With this book I saw a lot of 3’s.  Not sure what that has to do with anything except here I will tell you that I gave it four stars.  I liked the story.  I loved Bliss.  She was fun and she was an interesting character with many different levels.  Of course who wouldn’t love an English Hero like Garrick.  I was picturing Julian Morris (Wren from Pretty Little Liars), so cute!  Of course I tried to make him have an English accent in my head, but it just didn’t work out, guess we’ll have to push for a movie so we can hear Garrick in all his English glory.
There were so many scenes that I loved.  The spin the bottle make out party, was awesome because I have known many theater majors and this is something they would do and love it.  I also loved the sick bed chapters, seemed like a great way to move from their angst period.  I loved how much passion was written in these pages.  Carmack did a great job making me feel every kiss, every touch, and every moment that didn’t have those physical interactions.

Only complaints, would be that the story line was a little same ole same ole, luckily it was written well and therefore I didn’t mind the plot.  I also think the down or sad times could have been more angst felt, for example, when Garrick and Bliss aren’t talking it just felt like oh well, another day in the life of Bliss, but it could have been excruciating.  But if that’s all, you know that I liked the book.
I can’t wait to read Faking It.  Poor Cade, can’t wait to see what Carmack has in store for poor Cade.

Let me know what you think!  Have you read this book or anything from this author?  Keep Reading my Friends!

No comments: